Shalala speaks on Obama’s cabinet selections

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: With the new cabinet taking shape and Obama’s previous opponent now the secretary of State, do you think it’s just a coincidence that the secretary position has all been women for the past two presidents and now with President-elect Barack Obama?
PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA: Yes.

TMH: How do you think Hillary Clinton’s diplomatic experience as a former first lady will help her as secretary of State?
DS: What will help her is her high intelligence, government policy making experience and diplomatic skills.

TMH: What do you think about Obama keeping Robert Gates, the current secretary of Defense under President George W. Bush, as secretary of Defense?
DS: He is first rate (and a former college president).

TMH: What do you think Obama’s presidency will do for higher education or what would you like him to do?
DS: I’d like him to provide more financial aid for our students and double the NIH and NSF budgets.

TMH: Going into his presidency in 2009, what do you think Obama’s number one concern/priority will or should be?
DS: The economy.

TMH: Do you have any type of relationship with President-elect Obama?
DS: Yes.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...