Football

Miami Hurricanes football: A regular season post-mortem

Dan Stein

Dan Stein

Now that the 2008 regular season is in the books for the Miami Hurricanes, it is time to take a look back at what it meant.

I think that the takeaway message is that the team improved but has a lot of work to do.

It was very encouraging to see the youngsters step up and play as well as they did. Many freshmen showed the promise of great things in their future. They also showed why it is hard to win with a group of kids months removed from senior prom.

The problem that the Canes ran into down the stretch is known as the “rookie wall.” When players have never played a down of college football, they have a big adjustment to make. One of them is the grind of a 12 game schedule at a very high level of competition.

This phenomenon affected the Canes so drastically because of the number of freshmen and sophomores in prominent roles. It is one thing to have a handful of youngsters getting serious playing time and quite another to have 15 on the 22 player two-deep depth chart.

It is evident that the future of this team has already begun; it would be wise to fully commit to it next season. Veterans that have completed their studies should be encouraged to graduate so as to not hold people back. This season was one of growing pains and next year will be too.

However, next season will come with the expectation of an ACC championship game appearance. The players who have failed to succeed for four or five years already will not be the players to deliver.

It will be the guys who went through their pains this year.

And that is why this year was successful.

A bowl game looms. Whether it is the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco (against a Pac-10 team), the Music City Bowl in Nashville (against an SEC opponent) or the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte (against a Big East team), we do not know.

The beautiful thing is that it really does not matter.

The bowl berth earns this team an extra month of practice. For a team this young, that is the important thing.

When the Canes run out onto the field in a month, you will see more youngsters in key roles. There will be times when they look flat out awful. But you can bet they will be hungry.

A win will give the team momentum going into the next season. Next season will see more improvement.

Last season was one of getting rid of dead weight and figuring out who had to go.

This season was one of forcing the youth to sink or swim.

For the most part, they swam – and inspired a jaded fan base while they were at it.

What about next season? What will next season be?

I guess we will all have to wait and see…

Dan Stein

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...