CD Review: The Killers’ ‘Day & Age’

“Are we human, or are we dancer?” That is the question.

When Brandon Flowers sat down to write lyrics to The Killers’ third studio album, Day & Age, he never could’ve imagined the heated discussion that would arise over grammar, of all things.

After receiving mediocre reviews for Sam’s Town – the U2/Springsteen fusion follow-up to post-punk Hot Fuss – the band continued to experiment while on a worldwide tour.

Two years later, Flowers brilliantly depicts paranoia and isolation in contemporary society.

Dubbed the greatest British band from America, The Killers open the album with “Losing Touch,” a song rich with blaring trumpets. “Joy Ride” and “I Can’t Stay” mix an island vibe with bass-heavy nightlife, steel drums and a saxophone solo.

Many feared that Stuart Price, who produced Madonna’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, would greatly turn the band towards a dance-oriented sound as heard on their first single, “Human.”

All the hoopla over what Flowers sings in the song lies in a Hunter S. Thompson quote, which critiques today’s American generation as a bunch of “dancers.”

“Spaceman” brings the band’s Hot Fuss roots back on a poppy track with Flowers’s signature synthesizer.

“Neon Tiger” sparkles with its staccato guitar, synth line and lyrics like “Run neon tiger/there’s a lot on your mind/they promised just to pet you/don’t you let them get you.”

Mark Stoermer’s bass and Dave Keuning’s guitar riffs lead “This is Your Life,” another declaration of present-day life seemingly influenced by Elton John’s songs from The Lion King.

“A Dustland Fairytale” resembles the arena rock from their sophomore effort, but shines with harpsichord, piano and string arrangements.

With a condensed album only 10 songs long, there aren’t any throwaways or should-be b-sides.

Instead of ending on an upbeat note like the rest of the ’80s pop-inspired tracks, “Good Night, Travel Well” closes on a somber note. The almost 7 minute tribute to impending death and family is like “Why Do I Keep Counting?” version 2.0.

After a little more than 41 minutes, The Killers pose more questions than answers.

By experimenting and evolving as musicians, Flowers and company refused to play it safe with old material and shrugged off any talk of acting like dancers.

3.5 out of 4 stars

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...