CD Review: Paul McCartney’s ‘Electric Arguments’

Electric Arguments may get lost among an online music store’s listings or on a record shop rack if it’s only credited to The Fireman.

Electric Arguments, an album by The Fireman, is Paul McCartney's second collaboration with the producer Youth.

Electric Arguments, an album by The Fireman, is Paul McCartney

But beneath the name, which you’ve probably never heard of, is Paul McCartney’s second collaborative album with the producer Youth. The two first worked together on 1994’s Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest, a house music album.

Arguments’ 13 tracks – recorded in 13 days over the course a year – follow McCartney’s 2007 solo release, Memory Almost Full. But this recent release offers a little something different from the former Beatle’s mostly pop and rock-infused catalogue.

Also, whereas the last two solo albums offered some reflections on growing old, McCartney focuses more on love, dancing and other happy, uplifting themes.

Showing he can still sing (somewhat) like he did on “Helter Skelter,” McCartney opens strong with a bluesy rocker called “Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight” but quiets down for the other songs, with the exception of “Highway.”

Some electronically tinged tracks bring to mind Surprise, the collaboration between folk rock legend Paul Simon and ambient music pioneer Brian Eno. In Arguments, McCartney also channels Pink Floyd with “Travelling Light” and “Lovers In a Dream,” the latter of which also sounds like house music.

Overall, Arguments is an enjoyable, sonically pleasing album, but nothing spectacular. If you’re a McCartney fan or just want to chill out, take a listen.

3 out of 4 stars

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

University of Miami President Julio Frenk touted the University’s recent accomplishments in his seco ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.