CD Review: Paul McCartney’s ‘Electric Arguments’

Electric Arguments may get lost among an online music store’s listings or on a record shop rack if it’s only credited to The Fireman.

Electric Arguments, an album by The Fireman, is Paul McCartney's second collaboration with the producer Youth.

Electric Arguments, an album by The Fireman, is Paul McCartney

But beneath the name, which you’ve probably never heard of, is Paul McCartney’s second collaborative album with the producer Youth. The two first worked together on 1994’s Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest, a house music album.

Arguments’ 13 tracks – recorded in 13 days over the course a year – follow McCartney’s 2007 solo release, Memory Almost Full. But this recent release offers a little something different from the former Beatle’s mostly pop and rock-infused catalogue.

Also, whereas the last two solo albums offered some reflections on growing old, McCartney focuses more on love, dancing and other happy, uplifting themes.

Showing he can still sing (somewhat) like he did on “Helter Skelter,” McCartney opens strong with a bluesy rocker called “Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight” but quiets down for the other songs, with the exception of “Highway.”

Some electronically tinged tracks bring to mind Surprise, the collaboration between folk rock legend Paul Simon and ambient music pioneer Brian Eno. In Arguments, McCartney also channels Pink Floyd with “Travelling Light” and “Lovers In a Dream,” the latter of which also sounds like house music.

Overall, Arguments is an enjoyable, sonically pleasing album, but nothing spectacular. If you’re a McCartney fan or just want to chill out, take a listen.

3 out of 4 stars

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...