Basketball

Canes roll past Rattlers, win fourth straight

Youth is served.

The University of Miami women’s basketball team stayed on a roll as it defeated Florida A&M 83-69 on Monday night at the BankUnited Center.

It marked the fourth straight victory for the Hurricanes (5-2).

Sophomore guard Vitalija Vasciunaite scored a career-high 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting. Four of her field goals came from behind the arc. Two days earlier, she tied her then career-high of 14 points against Santa Clara (1-7).

Senior guard LaToya Cunningham added another 15 points for the Canes and found success from long range with a career-high five 3-pointers.

In total, three Miami players reached double digits, including sophomore forward Diane Barnes, who notched 15. She also controlled the paint by recording four rebounds, three of which came on the offensive end.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson, the reigning ACC Rookie of the Week, was limited due to foul trouble, but still recorded eight points, four assists and a team-high two steals.

The 83 points scored by the Hurricanes was the second-highest output on the season behind the 91 against Norfolk State (0-4) a few weeks earlier. Thirty-three points were scored by bench players and 34 were recorded in the paint. Their 24 assists were a season-best as well.

Junior forward Charmaine Clark dished out a career-high 10 assists to give her 33 after only seven games. She has already surpassed her season-high total of 32, which came during her freshman year.

Early on, the Canes jumped out to a 10-0 lead and extended it to 19 late in the second half with Vasciunaite’s final jump shot of the night.

Florida A&M’s (3-2) leading scorer was junior guard Deidra Jones with 21 points. With 5:38 left in the first half, she nailed a jumper that pulled the Rattlers to within one. Vasciunaite, however, answered with eight points during that span.

Both teams combined to turn the ball over only 26 times, but the Canes scored 17 points off Rattler mistakes.

Miami hosts Indiana (4-2) at 7 p.m. Friday night as part of the second annual ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...