US and World News

AFGHANISTAN – The U.S. military and Afghan government reported on Sunday that Afghan forces and their allies killed 17 suspected militants in the Kandahar providence. Taliban commander Mullah Asad was also killed according to a NATO announcement.

ARGENTINA – An ex-Argentine police commander, Mario Ferreyra, killed himself in front of television  cameras. Ferreyra killed himself before he was about to be arrested for alleged human rights violations committed during Argentina’s dictatorships.

PAKISTAN – Pakistan told India that it would not be the first to use nuclear weapons in a conflict. It further proposed a nuclear-free South Asia. Pakistan’s nuclear doctrine does not contain a clause saying it would not be the first to use weapons in a conflict, unlike India’s doctrine.

BELIZE – Leaders from Antigua, Belize and the Bahamas met in a closed-door meeting in Antigua and decided they would push regional banks to give more loans to builders and exporters. They hope it will boost jobs and trade and stop the effects of the economic crisis.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...