Letters to the Editor

Thanksgiving is a time of reflection

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and connect. We gather together to connect with family and friends and reflect on the times that have already passed.

For reasons many of us cannot answer, turkey is always the main dish. Carving the turkey is something many families honor the eldest male with. In my family, a perfect cut is symbolic for a fresh start to the rest of the year.

Always a month before Christmas, we give thanks on Thanksgiving to the pilgrims who risked life and limb for generations to come. Maybe they were thinking about the future, but probably not. As selfish as people are nowadays, I’m sure that these pilgrims were simply trying to survive. They certainly had no intention of us stealing land and raping women and children to honor our predecessors.

So this Thanksgiving, just make sure you have some meaning behind the holiday. Of course, the main goal is to bring together family and friends around a large dinner table for an eight-course meal. But maybe you can try and add additional meaning, just like my family adds symbolism to the carving of the turkey.

-Samantha Silver
Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...