Letters to the Editor

Thanksgiving is a time of reflection

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and connect. We gather together to connect with family and friends and reflect on the times that have already passed.

For reasons many of us cannot answer, turkey is always the main dish. Carving the turkey is something many families honor the eldest male with. In my family, a perfect cut is symbolic for a fresh start to the rest of the year.

Always a month before Christmas, we give thanks on Thanksgiving to the pilgrims who risked life and limb for generations to come. Maybe they were thinking about the future, but probably not. As selfish as people are nowadays, I’m sure that these pilgrims were simply trying to survive. They certainly had no intention of us stealing land and raping women and children to honor our predecessors.

So this Thanksgiving, just make sure you have some meaning behind the holiday. Of course, the main goal is to bring together family and friends around a large dinner table for an eight-course meal. But maybe you can try and add additional meaning, just like my family adds symbolism to the carving of the turkey.

-Samantha Silver
Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...