Letters to the Editor

Thanksgiving is a time of reflection

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and connect. We gather together to connect with family and friends and reflect on the times that have already passed.

For reasons many of us cannot answer, turkey is always the main dish. Carving the turkey is something many families honor the eldest male with. In my family, a perfect cut is symbolic for a fresh start to the rest of the year.

Always a month before Christmas, we give thanks on Thanksgiving to the pilgrims who risked life and limb for generations to come. Maybe they were thinking about the future, but probably not. As selfish as people are nowadays, I’m sure that these pilgrims were simply trying to survive. They certainly had no intention of us stealing land and raping women and children to honor our predecessors.

So this Thanksgiving, just make sure you have some meaning behind the holiday. Of course, the main goal is to bring together family and friends around a large dinner table for an eight-course meal. But maybe you can try and add additional meaning, just like my family adds symbolism to the carving of the turkey.

-Samantha Silver
Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...