Spotted On Site: Diana Alvarez

Diana Alvarez is a sophomore majoring in biology and an animal lover who is interested in veterinary work.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What inspires your style?

Diana Alvarez: Other people, colors, nature and my aunt inspire my style. My aunt is a free-spirit person who has lived all over [the world], from France to Spain. Also, festivals, such as the Greek Festival, and all the unique and different things they sell.

TMH: What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

DA: Well, based on my outward appearance, people look at me and think that I am free spirited and nonchalant when, in actuality, I am very OCD [obsessive compulsive]. Everything has to be in order and I also worry about school, work and the well-being of my friends. I’m a little higher strung.

TMH: Why did you decide to take a pre-vet track?

DA: Originally, I was pre-med, but after my beagle Roxy passed after a battle with lymphoma, I wanted to help others going through the same thing. And I’ve always been passionate about animals. The more I work with others such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Monkey Jungle, the more interesting I find it and the more I love it. Also, the best part about working with animals is that you immediately get to work hands on with the animals as opposed to at a hospital, where you have to go through a bunch of training before you can even get near a person.

TMH: Are you actively involved on campus?

DA: Yes, I am a member of the Pre-Veterinary Society, which basically speaks for itself as to why I joined it. I am also a member of Miami Ballroom and Salsa Craze because I love dancing; I have been dancing since I was little, and this gave me an opportunity to learn something new. Lastly, I joined the Association of Commuter Students, mostly because they are a lively group of people whom you can have fun with. But also, I can always find a stupid excuse to wear a funny hat with them and not be looked at.

TMH: Why did you choose to go to the University of Miami?

DA: Mainly, I was afraid of change. I’m from Miami, and I didn’t want to go far from home and my family. But now that I have been at UM, I feel more capable to leave for vet school in the future.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...