Spotted On Site: Diana Alvarez

Diana Alvarez is a sophomore majoring in biology and an animal lover who is interested in veterinary work.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What inspires your style?

Diana Alvarez: Other people, colors, nature and my aunt inspire my style. My aunt is a free-spirit person who has lived all over [the world], from France to Spain. Also, festivals, such as the Greek Festival, and all the unique and different things they sell.

TMH: What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

DA: Well, based on my outward appearance, people look at me and think that I am free spirited and nonchalant when, in actuality, I am very OCD [obsessive compulsive]. Everything has to be in order and I also worry about school, work and the well-being of my friends. I’m a little higher strung.

TMH: Why did you decide to take a pre-vet track?

DA: Originally, I was pre-med, but after my beagle Roxy passed after a battle with lymphoma, I wanted to help others going through the same thing. And I’ve always been passionate about animals. The more I work with others such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Monkey Jungle, the more interesting I find it and the more I love it. Also, the best part about working with animals is that you immediately get to work hands on with the animals as opposed to at a hospital, where you have to go through a bunch of training before you can even get near a person.

TMH: Are you actively involved on campus?

DA: Yes, I am a member of the Pre-Veterinary Society, which basically speaks for itself as to why I joined it. I am also a member of Miami Ballroom and Salsa Craze because I love dancing; I have been dancing since I was little, and this gave me an opportunity to learn something new. Lastly, I joined the Association of Commuter Students, mostly because they are a lively group of people whom you can have fun with. But also, I can always find a stupid excuse to wear a funny hat with them and not be looked at.

TMH: Why did you choose to go to the University of Miami?

DA: Mainly, I was afraid of change. I’m from Miami, and I didn’t want to go far from home and my family. But now that I have been at UM, I feel more capable to leave for vet school in the future.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...