Spotted On Site: Diana Alvarez

Diana Alvarez is a sophomore majoring in biology and an animal lover who is interested in veterinary work.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What inspires your style?

Diana Alvarez: Other people, colors, nature and my aunt inspire my style. My aunt is a free-spirit person who has lived all over [the world], from France to Spain. Also, festivals, such as the Greek Festival, and all the unique and different things they sell.

TMH: What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

DA: Well, based on my outward appearance, people look at me and think that I am free spirited and nonchalant when, in actuality, I am very OCD [obsessive compulsive]. Everything has to be in order and I also worry about school, work and the well-being of my friends. I’m a little higher strung.

TMH: Why did you decide to take a pre-vet track?

DA: Originally, I was pre-med, but after my beagle Roxy passed after a battle with lymphoma, I wanted to help others going through the same thing. And I’ve always been passionate about animals. The more I work with others such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Monkey Jungle, the more interesting I find it and the more I love it. Also, the best part about working with animals is that you immediately get to work hands on with the animals as opposed to at a hospital, where you have to go through a bunch of training before you can even get near a person.

TMH: Are you actively involved on campus?

DA: Yes, I am a member of the Pre-Veterinary Society, which basically speaks for itself as to why I joined it. I am also a member of Miami Ballroom and Salsa Craze because I love dancing; I have been dancing since I was little, and this gave me an opportunity to learn something new. Lastly, I joined the Association of Commuter Students, mostly because they are a lively group of people whom you can have fun with. But also, I can always find a stupid excuse to wear a funny hat with them and not be looked at.

TMH: Why did you choose to go to the University of Miami?

DA: Mainly, I was afraid of change. I’m from Miami, and I didn’t want to go far from home and my family. But now that I have been at UM, I feel more capable to leave for vet school in the future.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...