Spotted On Site: Diana Alvarez

Diana Alvarez is a sophomore majoring in biology and an animal lover who is interested in veterinary work.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What inspires your style?

Diana Alvarez: Other people, colors, nature and my aunt inspire my style. My aunt is a free-spirit person who has lived all over [the world], from France to Spain. Also, festivals, such as the Greek Festival, and all the unique and different things they sell.

TMH: What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

DA: Well, based on my outward appearance, people look at me and think that I am free spirited and nonchalant when, in actuality, I am very OCD [obsessive compulsive]. Everything has to be in order and I also worry about school, work and the well-being of my friends. I’m a little higher strung.

TMH: Why did you decide to take a pre-vet track?

DA: Originally, I was pre-med, but after my beagle Roxy passed after a battle with lymphoma, I wanted to help others going through the same thing. And I’ve always been passionate about animals. The more I work with others such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Monkey Jungle, the more interesting I find it and the more I love it. Also, the best part about working with animals is that you immediately get to work hands on with the animals as opposed to at a hospital, where you have to go through a bunch of training before you can even get near a person.

TMH: Are you actively involved on campus?

DA: Yes, I am a member of the Pre-Veterinary Society, which basically speaks for itself as to why I joined it. I am also a member of Miami Ballroom and Salsa Craze because I love dancing; I have been dancing since I was little, and this gave me an opportunity to learn something new. Lastly, I joined the Association of Commuter Students, mostly because they are a lively group of people whom you can have fun with. But also, I can always find a stupid excuse to wear a funny hat with them and not be looked at.

TMH: Why did you choose to go to the University of Miami?

DA: Mainly, I was afraid of change. I’m from Miami, and I didn’t want to go far from home and my family. But now that I have been at UM, I feel more capable to leave for vet school in the future.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...