Basketball

Men fall to No. 2 UConn in Paradise Jam tournament

ANTICIPATION: Dwayne Collins stands at the free-throw line against Florida Southern earlier this month.   STEPHANIE WEHRUNG // Hurricane Staff

ANTICIPATION: Dwayne Collins stands at the free-throw line against Florida Southern earlier this month. STEPHANIE WEHRUNG // Hurricane Staff

The No. 2 Connecticut Huskies were just too big for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes, literally. 7’3″ All-American Hasheem Thabeet dominated the Hurricanes in the paint, finishing with 19 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks, as the Huskies defeated the Canes 76-63 in the second round of the Paradise Jam.

John Wooden award nominee – an honor given to the nation’s top player – and team captain Jack McClinton once again had a brilliant effort, ending the night with 27 points on 10-for-23 shooting. Junior forward Dwayne Collins made his presence felt as he had 16 points and 14 rebounds.

But the Canes had to battle back all night. In the first half, they trailed by as many as 19 points. In the second half, the Huskies had them down 17.

However, Miami continued to fight and cut the UConn lead down to 69-59 after a 3-pointer by McClinton. Then, a fast break lay-up by junior guard James Dews cut it to 69-61. The Hurricanes had the opportunity to cut it to a five-point game with 2:01 remaining, but McClinton missed the front end of a one-and-one free throw shot. Connecticut prevailed and will now advance to the championship of the Paradise Jam.

Before they played the Huskies, the Hurricanes had to worry about Southern Miss.

On Friday afternoon, senior guard Lance Hurdle returned to the lineup and helped carry the Canes to a win over Southern Miss, 70-60. Hurdle finished with 13 points on 3-for-5 shooting.

“It’s great to be back with my teammates, out there laughing again,” Hurdle said. “The adrenaline was flowing. I was excited. I felt like a kid on Christmas.”

Said head coach Frank Haith of Hurdle, “His play was crucial, especially not knowing what he was going to be able to give us. He played outstanding.”

Hurdle’s rim-bouncing 3-pointer at the buzzer gave Miami a 36-24 lead heading into halftime. Both Dwayne Collins and Jack McClinton contributed with eight points.

The Hurricanes never trailed in the second half, with Southern Miss getting as close as 41-37. The Canes then stepped it up on defense and went on a 15-5 run over a six-minute span. Collins finished with 14 points and nine rebounds, while McClinton added 13 points.

The team’s 1-1 record at the Paradise Jam leaves them at 2-1 on the season. They will now play the winner of Sunday evening’s Wisconsin/San Diego game at 6 p.m. Monday evening.

To read the LiveBlog from Sunday’s game, click here.

Lelan LeDoux

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...