V's Take

Hurriqueen: How should I deal with familial relations?

Hey Hurriqueen,

I hope this doesn’t sound totally gross, but for most of this semester I’ve been getting pretty intense with my second cousin. I had never met him until four years ago when I came to the U.S. and hadn’t seen him in almost a year. This semester he’s been coming over every weekend non-stop and we can’t seem to keep our hands off each other. We cuddle, we kiss and we even do all the relationship-y stuff. I admitted I had feelings for him, but even though he acts like he has feelings for me too, he keeps putting up stops. What’s up with this?

~Confused

Dear Confused,

Just when I thought I had heard it all, just when I thought I had an opinion on everything, you go ahead and ask me a question related to incest. Incest! Oh sweetie, I am just as confused as you are.

Personally, I’ve never been attracted to my cousins, but that’s hardly justification to judge you. While researching incest, I learned that Charles Darwin’s wife Emma Wedgewood was also his first cousin. If the father of evolution was cool with first cousins getting busy, surely your, uh, relations with your second cousin can’t be that bad. Right? I dunno; the verdict’s still out.

But while I may lack a solid opinion, the reality is the people in your life, particularly your love interest and your family, do have an opinion. Let’s start with your make-out partner. Something is preventing your cousin from making your relationship official. Does he have a moral objection to incest? If so, he likely wants you to be his girlfriend, but can’t get past his feelings of guilt.

Your cuz could also be an insensitive pig who is using you for affection but doesn’t have the balls to deal with your family’s reaction to the truth. Either way, you need to find out how he truly feels. It would be destructive to continue pushing for a relationship that’s never going to happen.

But let’s say your cousin decides he wants you to be his girl, with a Facebook relationship request and all of that other tacky hoopla. How would the people in your life react? Is Mom going to cry tears of joy, or beg Father Willy to save your soul? Is Dad going to tell your cousin he’s the son he’s always wanted, or grab his baseball bat? These are serious questions to consider!

I’m not saying your behavior should be entirely contingent upon what everyone else thinks. God knows I’ve busted a few moves that have made my parents’ heads spin. I just want you to make sure you can be happy with your decision, regardless of what people have to say.

Please keep me updated! I have a feeling you’re going to have some interesting family dinners this holiday season. You better dish, girl!

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

I’m on winter holiday, bitches! No more questions…for now.

Advice Columnist

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Senior Raheem Chambers boasted an NCAA-leading 60m time in the final on Saturday at the Vanderbilt I ...

In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, Miami Athletics' Student Athlete Advisory Committee ( ...

Miami tops Georgia Southern, 5-0, Sunday night. ...