Another bailout? Should we or should we not?

Daniel Medina

Daniel Medina

Less than 60 days after Congress passed the historic 700 billion dollar bailout package to aid the failing financial sector, the nations’ three largest automakers last week strolled to Washington for their own piece of the pie. The CEOs of GM, Ford, and Chrysler boarded their private jets only to literally beg the Senate to hear their pleas for funding upwards of $25 billion or bankruptcy was inevitable.

After decades of refusing to innovate in new technology for fuel-efficient cars and laying hold to powerful labor unions, the American auto industry’s collapse is long overdue and if Congress grants them this bailout, it will be destroyed indefinitely in the long run.

The argument that has been presented by both these companies and by leading economists is that if these companies are denied the funds and are forced to file bankruptcy, up to 3 million jobs will be lost – possibly devastating the Midwest and the already anemic economy.

Thus, given the evidence on both sides, the question still lingers: Should we or should we not grant them this bailout?

I, personally, feel that a bailout will only delay the inevitable and give Detroit another chance to continue with the status quo – massive burdens placed on them by the labor unions, continued product inferiority and more job losses – all a result of failed management. As I see it, the harsh reality is that regardless of whether or not Detroit receives this bailout or not, jobs will be lost because the automakers are, simply, too broke to sustain the salaries of their employees.

Bankruptcy will force the “Big Three” to restructure themselves in a manner they have not needed to do for 50 years. It will force them to recruit new management, balance their debt sheets, and invest in innovation for “green” technology – the future of the auto industry given the instability in the global petrol market.

Most importantly, it will give them the opportunity to once and for all break away from the labor unions that have controlled them for far too long. I am not saying that the labor unions should be terminated; however, there must be a healthy medium between guaranteeing employees their rights without having to meet hefty unreasonable wage demands. As a result, they could finally reduce the price of their cars, which are currently $2,000 more than any other major competitors, on average.

Congress has granted Detroit until early December to present a more formidable plan proving that the funds would save the industry from disrepair. Nonetheless, with the infamous financial bailout still fresh in the minds of the American people, the Democratic-controlled majority will find it hard to justify another “rescue” package.

The “Big Three” used to be the face of American industrialism because they produced quality cars at low prices and at an unprecedented rate. It is in our national interest to allow them to stay afloat, but we must do so in a responsible manner.

As Mitt Romney, whose father George Romney saved GM in the 1950s from economic collapse, stated in his New York Times op-ed column last week, “Detroit needs a turnaround, not a check.”

Daniel Medina

Contributing Columnist

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...