Football

Optioned: Canes fall to Yellow Jackets

RUNNING AWAY: Running back Jonathan Dwyer beats Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey (57) and safety Anthony Reddick (26) on his way for one of his two touchdown and 128 yards rushing on the night. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

With hopes of a trip to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship game, the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Tech for, possibly, their biggest game of the season.

The result was something the Canes (7-4, 4-3) will look to quickly forget, as the Miami were stung by Georgia Tech (8-3, 5-3) 41-23, snapping the their five game win streak.

Although hopes of a trip to the ACC Championship game are not yet dead, the loss leaves the Canes in a very unfavorable position, opening the door for just about every other team in the Coastal division.

After starting their first drive with some promise, things quickly went south for the Hurricanes.

The team was unable to get any sort of momentum going on offense. Offensively, the Hurricanes had only two meaningful drives through three quarters of play; both Hurricane quarterbacks, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris, threw interceptions in the second quarter, Marve’s being a pick six; and the team had a number of three-and-outs.

PICK SIX: Defensive lineman Dwayne Hendricks returns a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve to the endzone for a touchdown. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

Things were even worse defensively, as Georgia Tech scored on six of their eight drives through three quarters. The Yellow Jackets ran all over the Hurricanes, literally and figuratively, amassing 472 rushing yards. The Yellow Jackets averaged an astounding 8.4 yards per carry, as the Hurricanes were absolutely dumbfounded by Georgia Tech offense, predicated on the option.

Miami did get a couple of late touchdowns from Harris, but they came at a time when the game was already out of reach. The Canes ran for a combined 105 yards, while Harris and Marve threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns.

The Yellow Jackets did all of their damage on the ground, as four of their five touchdowns, save the pick six, came on the ground. Even quarterback Josh Nesbitt got in on the action, rumbling for 93 yards and a touchdown.

With all the Georgia Tech offense coming on the ground, Nesbit didn’t have to do much in the air, as the Yellow Jackets on attempted seven passes all game, completing four for 46 yards.

Miami will now travel to Raleigh to take on North Carolina State next Saturday, attempting to salvage their ACC Championship hopes and improve their bowl standings.

Jingesh Patel

Contributing Sports Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...