Football

Optioned: Canes fall to Yellow Jackets

RUNNING AWAY: Running back Jonathan Dwyer beats Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey (57) and safety Anthony Reddick (26) on his way for one of his two touchdown and 128 yards rushing on the night. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

With hopes of a trip to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship game, the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Tech for, possibly, their biggest game of the season.

The result was something the Canes (7-4, 4-3) will look to quickly forget, as the Miami were stung by Georgia Tech (8-3, 5-3) 41-23, snapping the their five game win streak.

Although hopes of a trip to the ACC Championship game are not yet dead, the loss leaves the Canes in a very unfavorable position, opening the door for just about every other team in the Coastal division.

After starting their first drive with some promise, things quickly went south for the Hurricanes.

The team was unable to get any sort of momentum going on offense. Offensively, the Hurricanes had only two meaningful drives through three quarters of play; both Hurricane quarterbacks, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris, threw interceptions in the second quarter, Marve’s being a pick six; and the team had a number of three-and-outs.

PICK SIX: Defensive lineman Dwayne Hendricks returns a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve to the endzone for a touchdown. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

Things were even worse defensively, as Georgia Tech scored on six of their eight drives through three quarters. The Yellow Jackets ran all over the Hurricanes, literally and figuratively, amassing 472 rushing yards. The Yellow Jackets averaged an astounding 8.4 yards per carry, as the Hurricanes were absolutely dumbfounded by Georgia Tech offense, predicated on the option.

Miami did get a couple of late touchdowns from Harris, but they came at a time when the game was already out of reach. The Canes ran for a combined 105 yards, while Harris and Marve threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns.

The Yellow Jackets did all of their damage on the ground, as four of their five touchdowns, save the pick six, came on the ground. Even quarterback Josh Nesbitt got in on the action, rumbling for 93 yards and a touchdown.

With all the Georgia Tech offense coming on the ground, Nesbit didn’t have to do much in the air, as the Yellow Jackets on attempted seven passes all game, completing four for 46 yards.

Miami will now travel to Raleigh to take on North Carolina State next Saturday, attempting to salvage their ACC Championship hopes and improve their bowl standings.

Jingesh Patel

Contributing Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...