Football

Optioned: Canes fall to Yellow Jackets

RUNNING AWAY: Running back Jonathan Dwyer beats Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey (57) and safety Anthony Reddick (26) on his way for one of his two touchdown and 128 yards rushing on the night. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

With hopes of a trip to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship game, the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Tech for, possibly, their biggest game of the season.

The result was something the Canes (7-4, 4-3) will look to quickly forget, as the Miami were stung by Georgia Tech (8-3, 5-3) 41-23, snapping the their five game win streak.

Although hopes of a trip to the ACC Championship game are not yet dead, the loss leaves the Canes in a very unfavorable position, opening the door for just about every other team in the Coastal division.

After starting their first drive with some promise, things quickly went south for the Hurricanes.

The team was unable to get any sort of momentum going on offense. Offensively, the Hurricanes had only two meaningful drives through three quarters of play; both Hurricane quarterbacks, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris, threw interceptions in the second quarter, Marve’s being a pick six; and the team had a number of three-and-outs.

PICK SIX: Defensive lineman Dwayne Hendricks returns a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve to the endzone for a touchdown. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

Things were even worse defensively, as Georgia Tech scored on six of their eight drives through three quarters. The Yellow Jackets ran all over the Hurricanes, literally and figuratively, amassing 472 rushing yards. The Yellow Jackets averaged an astounding 8.4 yards per carry, as the Hurricanes were absolutely dumbfounded by Georgia Tech offense, predicated on the option.

Miami did get a couple of late touchdowns from Harris, but they came at a time when the game was already out of reach. The Canes ran for a combined 105 yards, while Harris and Marve threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns.

The Yellow Jackets did all of their damage on the ground, as four of their five touchdowns, save the pick six, came on the ground. Even quarterback Josh Nesbitt got in on the action, rumbling for 93 yards and a touchdown.

With all the Georgia Tech offense coming on the ground, Nesbit didn’t have to do much in the air, as the Yellow Jackets on attempted seven passes all game, completing four for 46 yards.

Miami will now travel to Raleigh to take on North Carolina State next Saturday, attempting to salvage their ACC Championship hopes and improve their bowl standings.

Jingesh Patel

Contributing Sports Writer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...