Football

Optioned: Canes fall to Yellow Jackets

RUNNING AWAY: Running back Jonathan Dwyer beats Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey (57) and safety Anthony Reddick (26) on his way for one of his two touchdown and 128 yards rushing on the night. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

With hopes of a trip to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship game, the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Tech for, possibly, their biggest game of the season.

The result was something the Canes (7-4, 4-3) will look to quickly forget, as the Miami were stung by Georgia Tech (8-3, 5-3) 41-23, snapping the their five game win streak.

Although hopes of a trip to the ACC Championship game are not yet dead, the loss leaves the Canes in a very unfavorable position, opening the door for just about every other team in the Coastal division.

After starting their first drive with some promise, things quickly went south for the Hurricanes.

The team was unable to get any sort of momentum going on offense. Offensively, the Hurricanes had only two meaningful drives through three quarters of play; both Hurricane quarterbacks, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris, threw interceptions in the second quarter, Marve’s being a pick six; and the team had a number of three-and-outs.

PICK SIX: Defensive lineman Dwayne Hendricks returns a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve to the endzone for a touchdown. MICHAEL SCHNEIDER // The Technique

Things were even worse defensively, as Georgia Tech scored on six of their eight drives through three quarters. The Yellow Jackets ran all over the Hurricanes, literally and figuratively, amassing 472 rushing yards. The Yellow Jackets averaged an astounding 8.4 yards per carry, as the Hurricanes were absolutely dumbfounded by Georgia Tech offense, predicated on the option.

Miami did get a couple of late touchdowns from Harris, but they came at a time when the game was already out of reach. The Canes ran for a combined 105 yards, while Harris and Marve threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns.

The Yellow Jackets did all of their damage on the ground, as four of their five touchdowns, save the pick six, came on the ground. Even quarterback Josh Nesbitt got in on the action, rumbling for 93 yards and a touchdown.

With all the Georgia Tech offense coming on the ground, Nesbit didn’t have to do much in the air, as the Yellow Jackets on attempted seven passes all game, completing four for 46 yards.

Miami will now travel to Raleigh to take on North Carolina State next Saturday, attempting to salvage their ACC Championship hopes and improve their bowl standings.

Jingesh Patel

Contributing Sports Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...