Our opinion: Be at the Rat for the remaining football games

This space is reserved for the discussion of serious issues. Wide-ranging issues that  have a weighty impact on the entire student body. So this is our call to action: Go to the Rathskeller tonight.

That’s not serious, you say? We say community and your lifelong memories are important things.

Although the Rathskeller has been granted an eleventh-hour stay from the administration (hooray!), we are approaching the last two football games that the Rat, in its current form, will see. Not only that, tonight’s game at Georgia Tech is a Thursday night game, legendary among Hurricanes fans.

So why should you go to the Rathskeller tonight? You can stay at home, or go to the Grove to start your Thursday night party early, so why the Rat? Because the college experience is about learning, but more importantly, it establishes community. While being lazy and staying home is nice, and going to the Grove for access to a full bar is fun, nothing will replace these years.

Ask a senior where they watched the 2005 Miami/Virginia Tech game. If they don’t recall exactly, they weren’t at the Rat. Those who were there will never forget the atmosphere in the old building. As the Hurricanes crushed the Hokies in Blacksburg, the fans at home were rocking and rolling.

So when you’re planning to watch the next two games, the games that could springboard Miami back into the serious power structure of the college Football world, enjoy it with your friends at a familiar old place that won’t be around for too much longer. We hope to see you there.

Editorial Board

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...