Our opinion: Be at the Rat for the remaining football games

This space is reserved for the discussion of serious issues. Wide-ranging issues that  have a weighty impact on the entire student body. So this is our call to action: Go to the Rathskeller tonight.

That’s not serious, you say? We say community and your lifelong memories are important things.

Although the Rathskeller has been granted an eleventh-hour stay from the administration (hooray!), we are approaching the last two football games that the Rat, in its current form, will see. Not only that, tonight’s game at Georgia Tech is a Thursday night game, legendary among Hurricanes fans.

So why should you go to the Rathskeller tonight? You can stay at home, or go to the Grove to start your Thursday night party early, so why the Rat? Because the college experience is about learning, but more importantly, it establishes community. While being lazy and staying home is nice, and going to the Grove for access to a full bar is fun, nothing will replace these years.

Ask a senior where they watched the 2005 Miami/Virginia Tech game. If they don’t recall exactly, they weren’t at the Rat. Those who were there will never forget the atmosphere in the old building. As the Hurricanes crushed the Hokies in Blacksburg, the fans at home were rocking and rolling.

So when you’re planning to watch the next two games, the games that could springboard Miami back into the serious power structure of the college Football world, enjoy it with your friends at a familiar old place that won’t be around for too much longer. We hope to see you there.

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...