US and World News

WASHINGTON – Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska lost his bid for a seventh term Tuesday, giving Democrats at least 58 seats in the Senate for the first years of the Obama administration. He was convicted last month on federal ethics charges.

WASHINGTON – In order to ease congestion during the holiday travel season, President George W. Bush said commercial aircraft would be allowed to temporarily use military airspace across much of the country.

AFGHANISTAN – The Taliban rejected an offer of peace talks with the Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, saying that there would be no negotiations until foreign troops left the country.

BAGHDAD – Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki publicly defended a three-year security agreement with the United States, reassuring Iraqis that representatives from all sects have been involved in the negotiating process and that the agreement was the best option available for Iraq.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...