Volleyball

The magic number: 3

SWAT: Lane Carico goes up for a serve in a match earlier this season. STEVE ROOT // Hurricane Staff

Ask any player on the University of Miami volleyball team (24-5, 12-5) and they will tell you they are just taking it one match at a time.

Ask me, the beat writer, and I am looking ahead, because if the Canes win their final three games, they will win the ACC title and clinch an automatic spot in NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002.

For a team that was predicted to finish ninth in the ACC preseason polls, this is quite the accomplishment.

The ACC is not considered a premier women’s volleyball conference. The dominant teams play on the West Coast, and the ACC will be fortunate to have more than one representative in the field of 64. A mindboggling eight teams in the top 25 coaches poll hail from the state of California.

Over the course of this season, though, if there is anything that we have learned from this team, it is that anything is possible.

As the Hurricanes approach this crucial stretch in the season, let’s break down their final three games, all of which are on the road.

Miami begins its quest on Thursday on Tobacco Road against UNC (19-9, 13-4) at 7 p.m. Miami defeated North Carolina in four sets last month. The Canes dropped the first set but were able to battle back from adversity and prevail. Since that match, the Tar Heels are sporting an eight-game win streak and are the hottest team in the ACC. They are currently in sole possession of first place and also determine their own fate. UNC is the best defensive team in the ACC, leading the league in digs as a unit.

Friday, the Orange and Green travel to NC State (9-23, 3-14) to take on the Wolfpack at 7 p.m. The Hurricanes are 9-0 against the Wolfpack all-time. NC State is the third worst team in the ACC, but the game could be a trap if UM does not remain focused. NC State ranks last in the ACC in assists, kills and service aces.

Next Wednesday the Canes round out their schedule, facing in-state rival Florida State (19-8, 11-6) in Tallahassee. The last time these two teams played was back in September when Miami edged out the Seminoles in four sets. Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Lici McGee had a career high 11 blocks in that match.

“Every match is going to be incredibly difficult,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We have a lot of respect for all of these programs. Right now complete, total focus is on UNC. They are an incredible defensive team. We are going to have to play great volleyball if we want to win.”

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...