Online generation welcomes the new ‘TRL’

Say farewell to the days when teens and young adults had the right to vote… vote for their favorite music video, that is. Last Sunday, the Paramount/Viacom-owned network MTV put to rest their 10-year-old fan favorite Total Request Live, or, to its loyal voters, TRL.

Set in Times Square, the music video countdown show is arguably responsible for the launch, and overexposure of such music icons as Eminem, Britney Spears, N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys. The show’s heyday was in the late ’90s, when bubblegum pop flooded the airways.

TRL quickly became such a cultural phenomenon that celebrities saw the potential to self-market themselves and would often make guest appearances to promote albums, merchandise, tours or movies.

Unfortunately, as TRL‘s audience grew older and matured, TRL and most of its featured artists did not. TRL‘s original fan base left for college, and with finals around the corner, voting to ensure Britney’s new video hits the countdown just doesn’t seem all that important anymore.

“It’s terrible,” senior Rachael Rigamatt said. “I remember coming home and voting so Christina’s video would beat Britney’s out of the No. 1 spot. It feels so long ago now.”

The mood was nostalgic Sunday as the curtain closed after 2,247 episodes. Carson Daly was there to bring his ship to harbor, and help count down the top ten music videos of the TRL decade. Britney Spears’ “…Baby One More Time” took the top spot. The show also honored rap star, producer and marketing mogul Diddy as the most frequented guest, as Sunday was his 38th appearance.

The night included the music stylings of Beyonce, 50 Cent gave a memorable performance in the studio halls, and Ludacris, Snoop and Nelly all performed together on the same stage. But the festivities left one to wonder: what caused TRL‘s demise?

The Internet is to blame. Web phenomenon YouTube and the accessibility of music videos on the Internet have made video countdown shows obsolete. With the death of the countdown, and a death of a pop era, MTV announces a new birth for a new generation.

Recently MTV launched www.mtvmusic.com, a website dedicated solely to music videos. The site is relatively new, but UM students have already taken notice.

“I actually think it’s a really cool site,” junior Brent Goldman said. “It has a good variety, and I don’t get bombarded with ads.”

While people aren’t running to the phone anymore to vote for their favorite video, they can now assess them on their laptops, desktops, and cell phones on the bus, at home and in class. The generation that lives online just got another reason to stay online.

Ramona Cavanagh

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...