Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Quarterback: Miami’s Robert Marve looked good last week – until he got into the red zone, where the offense stalled three separate times. On the road, he will have to be better and quicker with his reads. Jacory Harris will once again see action, and whoever is better up to halftime will get to play the second half. Georgia Tech’s Josh Nesbitt is underrated and a major threat, but is injured and may or may not play. Tech coach Paul Johnson likes backup Jaybo Shaw, but from what I have seen of the kid, he is not ready yet. EDGE: EVEN

Running Back: Tech’s Jonathan Dwyer is a stud. He is averaging 6.6 yards per carry as the fullback in Tech’s triple option offense and has gone for over 1,000 yards rushing on the season. Miami’s Graig Cooper and Javarris James are getting better as James’s carries go up and Cooper’s carries go down, but they have yet to effectively finish a full game as a tandem. EDGE: Tech

Receivers: Miami’s group continues to be solid, but also seems to be hitting the “rookie wall.” Tech’s Demaryius Thomas is a threat and has over half of his team’s catches, with 33. He will get the ball; Miami can only hope to contain him after the fact. EDGE: EVEN

Offensive Line: Miami sees the return of Jason Fox from injury this week, which will be big against Tech’s athletic line. Tech will be without star tackle Andrew Gardner. Both teams do a good job against the run, but Miami is getting better against the pass, as the season goes on and Fox comes back. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Marcus Robinson, Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston all stepped up in a big way last week. They will have to carry that over to this week if Miami is to stop the triple option running game of Tech. The Ramblin’ Wreck has an athletic, pass rushing line led by stud Michael Johnson. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group continues to play well, and Sean Spence is quietly becoming not just a good freshman but a bona fide star. Tech has a solid group, but no one stands out. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Tech is led by Morgan Burnett, who leads the team in tackles and already has six interceptions. Miami’s secondary continues to benefit from a developing pass rush but will have its hands full with Thomas. EDGE: Tech

Special Teams: Matt Bosher has excelled both punting and kicking and should get All-American consideration. Tech’s Scott Blair is only 8/15 on field goals this year. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...