Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Quarterback: Miami’s Robert Marve looked good last week – until he got into the red zone, where the offense stalled three separate times. On the road, he will have to be better and quicker with his reads. Jacory Harris will once again see action, and whoever is better up to halftime will get to play the second half. Georgia Tech’s Josh Nesbitt is underrated and a major threat, but is injured and may or may not play. Tech coach Paul Johnson likes backup Jaybo Shaw, but from what I have seen of the kid, he is not ready yet. EDGE: EVEN

Running Back: Tech’s Jonathan Dwyer is a stud. He is averaging 6.6 yards per carry as the fullback in Tech’s triple option offense and has gone for over 1,000 yards rushing on the season. Miami’s Graig Cooper and Javarris James are getting better as James’s carries go up and Cooper’s carries go down, but they have yet to effectively finish a full game as a tandem. EDGE: Tech

Receivers: Miami’s group continues to be solid, but also seems to be hitting the “rookie wall.” Tech’s Demaryius Thomas is a threat and has over half of his team’s catches, with 33. He will get the ball; Miami can only hope to contain him after the fact. EDGE: EVEN

Offensive Line: Miami sees the return of Jason Fox from injury this week, which will be big against Tech’s athletic line. Tech will be without star tackle Andrew Gardner. Both teams do a good job against the run, but Miami is getting better against the pass, as the season goes on and Fox comes back. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Marcus Robinson, Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston all stepped up in a big way last week. They will have to carry that over to this week if Miami is to stop the triple option running game of Tech. The Ramblin’ Wreck has an athletic, pass rushing line led by stud Michael Johnson. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group continues to play well, and Sean Spence is quietly becoming not just a good freshman but a bona fide star. Tech has a solid group, but no one stands out. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Tech is led by Morgan Burnett, who leads the team in tackles and already has six interceptions. Miami’s secondary continues to benefit from a developing pass rush but will have its hands full with Thomas. EDGE: Tech

Special Teams: Matt Bosher has excelled both punting and kicking and should get All-American consideration. Tech’s Scott Blair is only 8/15 on field goals this year. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...