Basketball

Basketball recruit Scott chooses UM over UConn, Pitt

Durand Scott

Durand Scott

Highly touted shooting guard Durand Scott announced on SNY television Wednesday that he would leave the northeast and spurn powerhouse Connecticut to attend the University of Miami.

Rated among the top 50 players in the recruiting class of 2009, Scott chose Miami over the Huskies and fellow Big East member Pitt.

“I made my decision because of comfortability, just the type of person I am and where I believe I best fit,” Scott said on SNY. “When I took my visit to Miami, I knew it was the place I wanted to be. But I didn’t want to tell everybody. I wanted to weigh my options.”

Scott joins two other highly regarded players in 6’8″ power forward Donnovan Kirk from Detroit and 6’5″ shooting guard Garrius Adams from North Carolina. Miami is also in the running for point guard John Wall, considered the best player in the 2009 recruiting class.

Scott’s announcement on SNY:

Matthew Bunch

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...