Basketball

Basketball recruit Scott chooses UM over UConn, Pitt

Durand Scott

Durand Scott

Highly touted shooting guard Durand Scott announced on SNY television Wednesday that he would leave the northeast and spurn powerhouse Connecticut to attend the University of Miami.

Rated among the top 50 players in the recruiting class of 2009, Scott chose Miami over the Huskies and fellow Big East member Pitt.

“I made my decision because of comfortability, just the type of person I am and where I believe I best fit,” Scott said on SNY. “When I took my visit to Miami, I knew it was the place I wanted to be. But I didn’t want to tell everybody. I wanted to weigh my options.”

Scott joins two other highly regarded players in 6’8″ power forward Donnovan Kirk from Detroit and 6’5″ shooting guard Garrius Adams from North Carolina. Miami is also in the running for point guard John Wall, considered the best player in the 2009 recruiting class.

Scott’s announcement on SNY:

Matthew Bunch

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...