Baseball

Miami Herald: Pitcher Erickson out for season

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Eric Erickson will miss the 2009 baseball season after having reconstructive surgery on his elbow, the Miami Herald reported on their Web site Tuesday night.

According to the Herald‘s Susan Miller Degnan, the surgery took place last Wednesday, and Erickson will take a medical redshirt for the upcoming baseball season.

”This past summer I went to the Cape Cod League, and it was really bothering me, kind of a struggle,” Erickson told the Herald. “I took about eight weeks off of not throwing after the summer, and it still bothered me.”

Erickson was a freshman All-American in 2007 (10-4, 2.50 ERA), and finished 2008 (9-1, 4.15) as the No. 2 pitcher behind Chris Hernandez, as the Canes lost at the College World Series.

Miami baseball is slated to resume in February 2009.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...