Baseball

Miami Herald: Pitcher Erickson out for season

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Eric Erickson will miss the 2009 baseball season after having reconstructive surgery on his elbow, the Miami Herald reported on their Web site Tuesday night.

According to the Herald‘s Susan Miller Degnan, the surgery took place last Wednesday, and Erickson will take a medical redshirt for the upcoming baseball season.

”This past summer I went to the Cape Cod League, and it was really bothering me, kind of a struggle,” Erickson told the Herald. “I took about eight weeks off of not throwing after the summer, and it still bothered me.”

Erickson was a freshman All-American in 2007 (10-4, 2.50 ERA), and finished 2008 (9-1, 4.15) as the No. 2 pitcher behind Chris Hernandez, as the Canes lost at the College World Series.

Miami baseball is slated to resume in February 2009.

Matthew Bunch

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...