Baseball

Miami Herald: Pitcher Erickson out for season

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Eric Erickson will miss the 2009 baseball season after having reconstructive surgery on his elbow, the Miami Herald reported on their Web site Tuesday night.

According to the Herald‘s Susan Miller Degnan, the surgery took place last Wednesday, and Erickson will take a medical redshirt for the upcoming baseball season.

”This past summer I went to the Cape Cod League, and it was really bothering me, kind of a struggle,” Erickson told the Herald. “I took about eight weeks off of not throwing after the summer, and it still bothered me.”

Erickson was a freshman All-American in 2007 (10-4, 2.50 ERA), and finished 2008 (9-1, 4.15) as the No. 2 pitcher behind Chris Hernandez, as the Canes lost at the College World Series.

Miami baseball is slated to resume in February 2009.

Matthew Bunch

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...