UM’s first Green Career Fair Wednesday

The University of Miami’s will exemplify its latest effort to be environmentally-conscious with the introduction of the first Green Career Fair.

The Toppel Career Center is hosting the event on Wednesday from 1 to 3 p.m.  The event will be held on campus at the UC lower lounge, at 1306 Stanford Drive. 

Sixteen companies are scheduled to attend, including the Environmental Protection Agency and Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Only companies with environmental organizations or with plans to ‘go green’ will be attendance, according to Veronica Soto, assistant director of Career Events at Toppel. 

“We have turned down some companies due to them not having green initiatives,” Soto said.

In an effort to make this event as green as possible, pre-registration is encouraged, but not mandatory.  The  goal of this is to have students submit their resumes so that reusable resume book can be compiled to save paper. 

“Thirty-five people have pre-registered so far and we expect more by Wednesday,” Soto said, on Friday afternoon.

Students who do not pre-register must dress in professional attire and bring a Cane Card to be admitted.  Also,they must bring printed copies of their resume as they will not be included in the pre-made resume book.

The fair is sponsored by SustainableU, a UM group established to educate and facilitate environmentally-conscious initiatives. The idea for the fair evolved last year and has also gained support from GreenU, another  organization for the environment on campus.

Opportunities are available for both undergraduate and graduate students.  Internships as well as full-time jobs will be offered, varying from company to company.

Soto is optimistic about the fair.

“I would like to see it continue,” Soto said.

What you need to know:

WHO: More than a dozen companies and environmental organizations will participate in the event.

WHAT: The 2008 Green Career Fair is an opportunity for University of Miami students and alumni to connect with environmental organizations or companies with “green” initiatives that are looking to fill internship and full-time positions.

WHERE: At the lower lounge of the University Center, on the Coral Gables campus, 1306 Stanford Drive.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 19, 1-3 p.m.

Toppel Career Center:

View Larger Map

Jared Bassman

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...