Spotted On Site: Jessica Rausch

DESIGN: Jessica Rausch, who is also minoring in art and art history, chose architecture because of her interest in buildings and because it balances the subjects of art, math and science. TANYA THOMPSON // Hurricane Staff

Jessica Rausch, a fourth-year architecture major, is also minoring in art and art history.

The Miami Hurricane: Where are you from?

Jessica Rausch: Annapolis, Maryland.

TMH: So why go to Miami for school?

JR: It is something different to come here, totally different from home. Besides it’s only a two hour plane ride down here so my mom can visit me more often.

TMH: What made you want to study architecture?

JR: When I was 4 or 5 I was obsessed with Legos and I would always build Lego houses and such with my dad. So it has always been in the back of my mind. I would always comment on pretty houses. When I was in high school the art teachers pushed art and the math and science teachers pushed their subjects so architecture was a balance between the two.

TMH: What do you do in your free time?

JR: I’m in a sorority, Delta Gamma, and on the executive board. The executive board is made up of a president and 8 VPs and I’m one of the VPs, which means I’m in charge of Greek Week and philanthropy events and I have to be at everything, so that takes up a lot of time. Also I’m an only child so it has helped me become a lot more outgoing.

TMH: What do you plan to do after you leave college?

JR: There are a lot of options, one being interior design. But I don’t know because I’m also really interested in teaching so we’ll see.

TMH: So you mentioned study abroad. What’s your plan with regarding that?

JR: Yes, I’m going to Rome in Spring 2010, my last semester here. I will be studying architecture, and since it is through the school of architecture, not the study abroad program, the professors travel with us and then they bring in guess professors.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...