Spotted On Site: Jessica Rausch

DESIGN: Jessica Rausch, who is also minoring in art and art history, chose architecture because of her interest in buildings and because it balances the subjects of art, math and science. TANYA THOMPSON // Hurricane Staff

Jessica Rausch, a fourth-year architecture major, is also minoring in art and art history.

The Miami Hurricane: Where are you from?

Jessica Rausch: Annapolis, Maryland.

TMH: So why go to Miami for school?

JR: It is something different to come here, totally different from home. Besides it’s only a two hour plane ride down here so my mom can visit me more often.

TMH: What made you want to study architecture?

JR: When I was 4 or 5 I was obsessed with Legos and I would always build Lego houses and such with my dad. So it has always been in the back of my mind. I would always comment on pretty houses. When I was in high school the art teachers pushed art and the math and science teachers pushed their subjects so architecture was a balance between the two.

TMH: What do you do in your free time?

JR: I’m in a sorority, Delta Gamma, and on the executive board. The executive board is made up of a president and 8 VPs and I’m one of the VPs, which means I’m in charge of Greek Week and philanthropy events and I have to be at everything, so that takes up a lot of time. Also I’m an only child so it has helped me become a lot more outgoing.

TMH: What do you plan to do after you leave college?

JR: There are a lot of options, one being interior design. But I don’t know because I’m also really interested in teaching so we’ll see.

TMH: So you mentioned study abroad. What’s your plan with regarding that?

JR: Yes, I’m going to Rome in Spring 2010, my last semester here. I will be studying architecture, and since it is through the school of architecture, not the study abroad program, the professors travel with us and then they bring in guess professors.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...