Spotted On Site: Jessica Rausch

DESIGN: Jessica Rausch, who is also minoring in art and art history, chose architecture because of her interest in buildings and because it balances the subjects of art, math and science. TANYA THOMPSON // Hurricane Staff

Jessica Rausch, a fourth-year architecture major, is also minoring in art and art history.

The Miami Hurricane: Where are you from?

Jessica Rausch: Annapolis, Maryland.

TMH: So why go to Miami for school?

JR: It is something different to come here, totally different from home. Besides it’s only a two hour plane ride down here so my mom can visit me more often.

TMH: What made you want to study architecture?

JR: When I was 4 or 5 I was obsessed with Legos and I would always build Lego houses and such with my dad. So it has always been in the back of my mind. I would always comment on pretty houses. When I was in high school the art teachers pushed art and the math and science teachers pushed their subjects so architecture was a balance between the two.

TMH: What do you do in your free time?

JR: I’m in a sorority, Delta Gamma, and on the executive board. The executive board is made up of a president and 8 VPs and I’m one of the VPs, which means I’m in charge of Greek Week and philanthropy events and I have to be at everything, so that takes up a lot of time. Also I’m an only child so it has helped me become a lot more outgoing.

TMH: What do you plan to do after you leave college?

JR: There are a lot of options, one being interior design. But I don’t know because I’m also really interested in teaching so we’ll see.

TMH: So you mentioned study abroad. What’s your plan with regarding that?

JR: Yes, I’m going to Rome in Spring 2010, my last semester here. I will be studying architecture, and since it is through the school of architecture, not the study abroad program, the professors travel with us and then they bring in guess professors.

Tanya Thompson

Contributing Writer

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...