New Center for Computational Science may conduct “vital research”

Talk about speed; the staff at the new Center for Computational Science (CCS) can perform trillions of calculations per second as part of their effort to help researchers solve complex, real-world problems.

Tucked away in a garage at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine campus, the center is a state-of-the-art facility that blends computer power, applied mathematics and application sciences. The CCS links multiple computers to crunch complex data. For now, it is focusing on five areas: physical sciences and engineering, computational biology and bioinformatics, chemistry, data mining and visualization. The center, established in 2007, is involved in research projects on three UM campuses.

To inaugurate the center, a lecture series launched Friday afternoon at the Storer Auditorium in the School of Business. The talk was given by Daniel A. Reed, Microsoft’s scalable and multicore computing strategist who is responsible for re-envisioning the data center of the future.

“Computing is a universal intellectual amplifier which allows us to expand our memory and our ability to reason about complex events,” Reed said.

He explained that this technology helps to understand the behavior of weather and interact with friends, family and associates.

“In the modern world, in order to do science and engineering, you need to use computational methods and that they are a vital component of research and education in the new millennium,” said Nick Tsinoremas, the director of the CCS.

Tsinoremas said that since the center opened, his staff has been involved in about 85 collaborations with several schools at UM, including Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Medical, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

He also said that there have been 400 people, the majority of them students, who have used the facility. Several attended Reed’s lecture last week.

Aravind Prakash, a graduate student studying computer science, said, “[Reed] is an extremely knowledgeable speaker and a person who has been through the time line of computing.”

“He has also played an active role in its evolution,” Prakash said.

Another grad student, Steven Trac, added, “I am graduating this semester and I wish that I could be around to actually use the new technology that [Reed] talked about.”

To learn more about the Center for Computational Science, please visit www.ccs.miami.edu.

Ryan Evan Rose

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...