Football

A bittersweet symphony

When the final gun sounded on Thursday night, I did not know whether to laugh or cry.

As I sung the alma mater and watched the senior players take a group photo for their last home game, I realized that this was truly the end of an era.

For me and so many other seniors, this game is representative of the vast unknown awaiting. It was the last home game for this class, which may, in future years, become known as the “Lost Generation” of Canes.

This class saw a lot of bad football. We watched Kyle Wright and Kirby “Kirnobyl” Freeman; we watched Lance Leggett and the collapse of the Orange Bowl.

Now, as we prepare to leave, we watch a team with so much promise begin to spread its wings; five years from now there will be seniors graduating who have known nothing but winning.

For this senior class, our football-watching careers have now come full circle.

Freshman year was highlighted by a nationally televised stomping of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. That night the Miami defense was dominant and the offense did what it had to and nothing more.

On Thursday night, the exact same scenario played out.

The former marked the end of an era of success and the beginning of the descent into chaos.

The latter is the end of a long drought and the clearing of a major hurdle.

Beating the Hokies gives Randy Shannon his first signature win.

It gives the seniors a little redemption.

My brother goes to a big SEC school. After the game, he sent me a message that read, “You earned that.”

I could not agree more. No class has had to stick through so much in thirty years. I personally feel a fog lifting off of my entire life as this team progresses.

They say that a football game is like a symphony. Everything has to come together just right. If it doesn’t, the team will be out of sync and the performance will suffer.

This game was as close to a symphony as Randy Shannon has put together. The defense was the key, but the offense controlled the clock, and the special teams won the field position battle.

It was a pleasure to watch this game. After so many bad times and bad losses, it was almost relieving to watch the Canes win this type of game.

When it was over, I did not know how to respond. So I sat. As everyone filed out around me, including all of my friends, I sat and absorbed. I took in the field as it cleared. I listened to the sounds.

The end of every game has a ring to it, a unique kind of din.

The sound of this game represented a cathartic moment; it was truly symphonic.

And for those of us who depart, it was bittersweet.

Dan Stein

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...