Football

Canes smother Hokies, win 16-14

SMOTHERED: Miami's defense swarms Virginia Tech tight end Greg Boone. The Hokies couldn't get beyond the 18-yard line in the third quarter Thursday night. STEVE ROOT // Hurricane Staff 

Miami’s defense stepped up to the occation Thursday night, stifling the Virginia Tech Hokies en route to a 16-14 win.

While the overall difference in yardage was only three yards over the course of the game, the course of the game changed in the third quarter. Miami’s (7-3, 4-2) offense ran 20 plays from scrimmage, while Virginia Tech (6-4, 3-3) ran only six, and advanced no farther than their own 18-yard line.

Running back Javarris James scored the lone touchdown for Miami in the first quarter, as Matt Bosher connected on three more field goals, giving Miami the scoring they need.

Miami now sits attop the ACC Coastal division, at least until Saturday, when North Carolina plays Maryland. If UNC were to lose, Miami would remain the leader, and the favorite to represent the Coastal division at the ACC Championship.

Miami’s next game is this Thursday in Atlanta against Georgia Tech at 7:30 p.m. The game will again be broadcast on ESPN, where Miami hopes to improve to 14-1 all-time on ESPN Thursday Night Football.

Matthew Bunch

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...