Football

Canes smother Hokies, win 16-14

SMOTHERED: Miami's defense swarms Virginia Tech tight end Greg Boone. The Hokies couldn't get beyond the 18-yard line in the third quarter Thursday night. STEVE ROOT // Hurricane Staff 

Miami’s defense stepped up to the occation Thursday night, stifling the Virginia Tech Hokies en route to a 16-14 win.

While the overall difference in yardage was only three yards over the course of the game, the course of the game changed in the third quarter. Miami’s (7-3, 4-2) offense ran 20 plays from scrimmage, while Virginia Tech (6-4, 3-3) ran only six, and advanced no farther than their own 18-yard line.

Running back Javarris James scored the lone touchdown for Miami in the first quarter, as Matt Bosher connected on three more field goals, giving Miami the scoring they need.

Miami now sits attop the ACC Coastal division, at least until Saturday, when North Carolina plays Maryland. If UNC were to lose, Miami would remain the leader, and the favorite to represent the Coastal division at the ACC Championship.

Miami’s next game is this Thursday in Atlanta against Georgia Tech at 7:30 p.m. The game will again be broadcast on ESPN, where Miami hopes to improve to 14-1 all-time on ESPN Thursday Night Football.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...