Unknown photographers examine Wynwood

The old and often shabby appearance of some buildings in the Wynwood Art District, a midtown Miami enclave of emerging artists and designers, can lead some people to overlook the area’s wonderful galleries, personal collections, studios and quirky shops.

But Wynwood is a gem in the rough, as revealed by the University of Miami’s department of Art and Art History and its new photography exhibition called “This is Wynwood: Vernacular Photography in Miami.”

Carsten Meier, an assistant professor in photography and the curator of the exhibit, involved both his students and local Wynwood residents in the project.

“The whole idea is to be locally active,” Meier said. “We’ve got students, people who live here and, naturally, people that commute here. We even tried police officers.”

Meier and his colleagues handed out 250 disposable cameras to people in Wynwood and told them to take a week to photograph their lives. At the end of the week they dropped off their cameras in a box at the gallery.

Meier’s team developed and printed the film. The photographs appear all over the gallery and the best photographs were enlarged and placed on display individually.

“We are in an area with fantastic, spectacular collections,” Meier said. “We can’t compete with them on that level, but we wanted to see how the public would respond.”

The gallery opened on Nov. 8 and was part of the Wynwood Art Walk – an event on the second Saturday of every month when local galleries and showrooms open their doors to the public between 7 and 10 p.m.

Vernacular photography depicts everyday life. The photographs are not staged and are not premeditated or planned. They are meant to represent a literal portrayal of life in Wynwood.

“This type of photography is strongly ignored by the art community,” Meier said. “We wanted everyone to take photographs of what they see everyday, whatever they saw in Wynwood, whatever is important to your life in Wynwood.”

The gallery is open to the public and admission is free, but appointments are required to see the exhibit. A reception will be held on Nov. 22, the last night of the exhibit, and will be open to the public.

“Every photo is photographed by an unknown artist,” said Logan Beitmen, the gallery director. “And now they all have their work displayed.”

The Wynwood Project Space is located at 2200 NW 2nd Ave.

To make an appointment to see the exhibit before it closes on Nov. 22, call 305-284-2542.

View Larger Map

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...