Letters to the Editor

The true meaning of Veterans Day is largely forgotten in America

President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Nov. 11 as Armistice Day in 1919 – the one-year anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles, the end of WWI. The day was set aside to honor those who fought for our country during what was then known as “the war to end all wars.” Today, the holiday encompasses veterans of all wars, celebrating their patriotism, honoring their valor and recognizing the sacrifices they made. Most Americans view Veterans Day as simply a day off. People don’t remember its true meaning. Veterans Day isn’t celebrated and honored the way it was meant to be. It is sad that in our high-paced, fast lifestyles, we cannot take a small time out of our day to honor all American veterans. I saw no reference at all on campus or in my classes to this national holiday. The media gave it thirty seconds of airtime at best. What a shame for the over 620,000 Americans who died in the American Civil War, the over 400,000 in WWII and, today, the over 4,000 in Iraq and Afghanistan. It does not matter if you are for or against the Iraq War or against any type of war. Today, there are over 17 million war veterans alive in the U.S. The ultimate value that our veterans have fought and died for is freedom.

America is the country of freedom. We were the first to declare that government exists to serve men; men do not exist to serve government. We were the first to proclaim that all men are equal before the law. We were the first to say that each individual has inalienable rights – the right to life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness. The best way we can honor our veterans and give real meaning to Veterans Day – aside from ceremonies honoring their dedication and bravery – is to promise that we will go to war only when America’s interests as a free nation are threatened, and wage it in the uncompromising pursuit of victory. Mail isn’t delivered on Veterans Day, but the next day the mailbox may contain your cell phone bill. The one bill you won’t get is for your freedom. That bill has already been paid. The least we can do is take five minutes out of our day, get off Facebook, stop text messaging on our cell phones and remember all those who have fought – and in some cases given their lives – so we can live freely today.

– Ian Michael Rogers
Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...