Football

The Ring of Honor

Dan Stein  

Dan Stein

There are many reasons to attend Miami’s game against Virginia Tech on Thursday night.

To start with, it is a nationally televised game against a big-time rival with a lot on the line (ACC title implications, to be specific).

It is the last home game of the season – that means the last chance to tailgate and watch our team in front of a home crowd for nine months.

Most importantly, attendees will see five Miami Hurricane legends inducted into the Ring of Honor.

This truly makes for a historic night.

Edgerrin James, Jim Kelly, Cortez Kennedy, Jim Otto and Gino Torretta represent exactly what it means to be a Miami Hurricane.

These guys played hurt and underprepared. They worked hard.

No one who truly follows this program will forget the lessons learned from these guys. These guys are the stuff of legend.

Randy Shannon slept in front of Kennedy’s refrigerator to make sure he kept his weight in check, and Kennedy responded by becoming perhaps the most dominant lineman in Miami history and the first pick in the NFL Draft.

Kelly learned of his first start about an hour before kickoff; it just so happened to be against his favorite boyhood team and national powerhouse Penn State. Kelly responded by leading an upset win and officially putting Miami on the map.

James announced Miami was back about 15 years later, when he led the Canes past undefeated UCLA by running for 299 yards in the Orange Bowl.

The stories are endless with these guys, but the point is that they all exemplify what it means to be a Cane.

So who should be the next to join them?

Here is my take:

Ken Dorsey, QB (1999-2003) – This guy had the physical ability of Joe the Plumber but the heart of a champion. By the time he left Miami, he was the all-time winningest quarterback in NCAA history and had rewritten the Hurricane record book.

Ed Reed, DB (1997-2001) – He was perhaps the best defensive back in college history, but his records pale in comparison to his ability to come through in the clutch. His most memorable performances include leading Miami back from a halftime deficit against Florida State in 2000 and sealing a win against Boston College in 2001 with an unbelievable interception return.

Ray Lewis, LB (1993-1995) – Perhaps the greatest linebacker in NFL history is also one of the best in Hurricane history. He made an impact from the day he set foot on campus and continued the great tradition of Miami linebackers.

Sean Taylor, S (1999-2003) – Anyone who ever watched him knows exactly what I mean.

Jacory Harris, Robert Marve, Travis Benjamin, Sean Spence (2008-?) – Just kidding; it would be ridiculous to have this kind of expectation for a group of freshmen, right?

Dan Stein

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...