South Miami Beat Notebook

Christmas decarations going up on Sunset Drive

The much anticipated holiday lights are now up on the trees along Sunset Drive between US-1 and 57th Avenue as the holiday season rapidly approaches.

View Larger Map

Local middle school teacher honored

South Miami Middle School teacher Richard “Dick” Ward was recently honored with the naming of part of SW 67th Avenue between 56th Street and 64th Street, in front of the school where he works. The civics teacher has been active in a number of city commission meetings and has volunteered in several projects for the city. Ward also co-founded the Alliance for Youth organization and has been a chairman of the Parks and Recreation Committee.

View Larger Map

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...