South Miami Beat Notebook

Christmas decarations going up on Sunset Drive

The much anticipated holiday lights are now up on the trees along Sunset Drive between US-1 and 57th Avenue as the holiday season rapidly approaches.

View Larger Map

Local middle school teacher honored

South Miami Middle School teacher Richard “Dick” Ward was recently honored with the naming of part of SW 67th Avenue between 56th Street and 64th Street, in front of the school where he works. The civics teacher has been active in a number of city commission meetings and has volunteered in several projects for the city. Ward also co-founded the Alliance for Youth organization and has been a chairman of the Parks and Recreation Committee.

View Larger Map

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...