Letters to the Editor

Response to ‘Kind Care Package’

Dear Mr. Joshua W. Newman,

I am appalled and extremely disappointed with your article “Overreacting to a Kind Care Package” that ran in the Opinion Section of The Miami Hurricane on Oct. 30, 2008. Your poor attempt at sarcasm was not only misleading, but also insulting and immature. As a member of the editorial staff, you have significant power and responsibility and, as Opinion Editor, you should have more knowledge than the average, non-Communications student contributor. You are held to a higher standard and your work should be better than this.

This article is borderline defamatory. It is a pathetic excuse for satire that, unfortunately, could be misinterpreted as an actual theory for what happened outside the Hillel building on Oct. 26. The libelous implications made are unforgivable and illustrate the effects of ignorance in journalistic ethics.

If your argument had simply been that the actions taken were overly cautious and irrational, even phobic, then that’s what you should have said. By launching a personal attack on a specific individual, however, your opinion just becomes a hyperbolic fictionalization written in bad taste.

Your hypothetical drug addict is a real person in a student leadership position. I believe he acted responsibly, choosing to behave on the side of caution. He placed the call in order to protect us, the students of this university. Had this situation occurred elsewhere, say, in an international airport, calling the police and bomb squad would have been expected – in fact, required. My biggest fear is that because of your condescending response to such a serious situation, other individuals will feel awkward or reluctant to call the police should similar circumstances ever occur.

When such poorly written articles fill the pages of our student newspaper, I feel embarrassed to say that I am a senior contributor to the Miami Hurricane. Publishing a story laden with precarious legal implications that is, more importantly, just abysmal content looks terrible for the university. I hope that future articles will be written with more intelligence, research, and finesse.

-Hilary Saunders
Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...