Our opinion: UMPD must return to its solid reporting ways

Once again, we were all greeted yesterday morning with the all-too-common “Crime Alert.”

The University of Miami Police Department has an effective system of alerting students about recent criminal activity around campus. Because it is our community, we want to be informed when some delinquent comes to our neighborhood and commits an act of crime against one of our peers.

But what happens when the notification comes out, say, seven days after the occurrence? How should we feel about this?

Well, for one, the longer it takes to get out the name and description of the perpetrator, the longer it’ll take to catch them. The longer it takes to catch them, the more likely they are to strike again.

According to Janette Frevola of the Coral Gables Police Department, the likely reason for the delay is that the report wasn’t correct or complete. She said you must also take into account police officers’ days off and record officers’ days off.

Both of those speculative explanations aren’t consistent with the police department’s duty to keep us safe.

For the academic year 2007-2008, the UMPD sent out five crime alerts. The largest amount of time between approximate time of crime to the alert being sent out was less than 48 hours. So far in the 2008-2009 academic school year, three have been sent out. One took two days, one took four and the most recent took almost a full week. That’s unacceptable warning, and doesn’t live up to the standard the UMPD has set for itself.

If something happens tonight, we should be informed of it right away. Even if it’s just the time, place and minimal information about the event, we deserve to know. We’re better off knowing little than knowing nothing. A follow-up e-mail can be sent as information comes in; fortunately, there’s no postage for e-mail.

So, to the UMPD: You’ve done it before, so lets do it again. Students are eager to help solve crimes perpetrated upon our peers. Give us timely information to allow us to do what we can.

Editorial Board

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...