New football stadium to be built at Moore Park

In commemoration of its 75th anniversary, the Orange Bowl Committee – the group that hosts the post-season game as a way to bring tourism to South Florida – will be contributing $2.5 million to the City of Miami for a new football stadium in Moore Park at 765 NW 36th street.

A seemingly fraught group of young Miami Hurricanes were the hopeless underdogs in a 1933 match against a high-powered Manhattan College during their first appearance in a post-season football game called the “Palm Festival” at Miami’s Moore Park.

Earnie Seiler, the director of recreation for the City of Miami, had ordered a large celebratory cake before the game for Manhattan College’s highly anticipated win over the Hurricanes. Seiler had to hastily call the bakery to change the winner’s name on the cake after a late fourth quarter touchdown made the Hurricanes victorious in a marginal 7-0 win.

The Palm Festival game, through the legacy of the Hurricanes’ win over Manhattan College, established the foundations for the annual FedEx Orange Bowl game.

The city commission unanimously approved the grant and will be matching the committee’s gift by another $2.5 million in renovations and construction to the new site.

The total cost estimate and budget of the project is $5.65 million which includes permits and impact fees and hazardous materials.

“One of the things that is very unique to find is the non-profit partnership with the municipality,” said Larry Wahl, vice president of Media Relations of the Orange Bowl Committee. “It’s a unique alliance. The committee has been around for 75 years and everyone knows us through the football game. But we’ve been a huge supporter of the youth in the community.”
With these funds, a new football stadium with synthetic field turf and running track will be built at the Moore Park site. In addition, over 1,500 aluminum bleacher seats will be added with a press box, electronic scoreboard, field lighting and two concession buildings.

“It could be used for youth football, high school football, the community, walking, running, jogging along the track. There are a variety of purposes,” Wahl said.

The Orange Bowl Committee will be hosting the annual bowl game on Jan. 1 in addition to the FedEx BCS National Championship on January 8.

“The gift is a great step by the Orange Bowl Committee for the City of Miami,” said Kyle Capasso, a senior, supports the proposal. “The gift really helps strengthen the legacy of the Orange Bowl game ands its rich history and Miami origins. Now local kids in the surrounding community can share in their legacy.”

To get to Moore Park from the University of Miami:

View Larger Map

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...