Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Virginia Tech

Quarterbacks: Both teams have used two quarterbacks heavily. Miami’s tandem of Jacory Harris and Robert Marve has been far more effective, as each has looked good in spurts. The end result has been Miami usually having a hot hand to turn to when needed. Virginia Tech, on the other hand, has been an example of the old idiom: “When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none.” Tyrod Taylor is dangerous on his feet but has been injury-plagued. Sean Glennon is a statue in the pocket. Together, they have combined to throw only three touchdowns against six interceptions. EDGE: Miami

Running Backs: Graig Cooper is coming off a big game for the Canes, and Javarris James should be ready to go after having a brilliant first half against Virginia, during which he left the game injured. For Virginia Tech, Darren Evans just ran roughshod over the Maryland Terrapins to the tune of 253 yards and a score. Miami will have to stop him in order to put pressure on the quarterbacks. EDGE: Even

Receivers: Miami’s freshmen have been outstanding as of late, cutting down on drops and seemingly becoming threats on the go. Even upperclassmen Sam Shields and Kayne Farquharson are getting in on the act again, making this unit very formidable. Virginia Tech’s passing game has not been good, and their two leading receivers, Jarret Boykin and Danny Coale, have zero touchdowns. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Both run games have been impressive, and Miami did it against UVA with a patchwork group. Virginia Tech’s passing game has been bad, while Miami’s has at least shown flashes of dominance. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s has been solid but not spectacular. Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston show signs of coming on late, but Virginia Tech always gets production from their group and will be bringing the pressure under the lights. Tech is lead by Orion Martin, who enters the game with 6.5 sacks on the year. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group has been solid all year. Romeo Davis and Sean Spence have been the standouts of late, and Glenn Cook continues his leadership role. Virginia Tech’s trio of Cody Grimm (5 sacks), Brett Warren (63 tackles) and Purnell Sturdivant (64 tackles) will be steady as always for the Hokies. EDGE: Even

Secondary: The Hokies are lead by star Victor “Macho” Harris, who already has 4 interceptions and will take away half the field. Miami’s unit continues to experience growing pains but has been untested as of late; they may face little challenge from this passing game. EDGE: Virginia Tech

Special Teams: In years past, this has summed up Tech’s Beamer Ball. However, this year they have not covered well (3 punt return touchdowns surrendered) and have not punted well (113th nationally). Miami’s Matt Bosher has been great, and the return duo of Travis Benjamin and Thearon Collier is a big play waiting to happen. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...