Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Virginia Tech

Quarterbacks: Both teams have used two quarterbacks heavily. Miami’s tandem of Jacory Harris and Robert Marve has been far more effective, as each has looked good in spurts. The end result has been Miami usually having a hot hand to turn to when needed. Virginia Tech, on the other hand, has been an example of the old idiom: “When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none.” Tyrod Taylor is dangerous on his feet but has been injury-plagued. Sean Glennon is a statue in the pocket. Together, they have combined to throw only three touchdowns against six interceptions. EDGE: Miami

Running Backs: Graig Cooper is coming off a big game for the Canes, and Javarris James should be ready to go after having a brilliant first half against Virginia, during which he left the game injured. For Virginia Tech, Darren Evans just ran roughshod over the Maryland Terrapins to the tune of 253 yards and a score. Miami will have to stop him in order to put pressure on the quarterbacks. EDGE: Even

Receivers: Miami’s freshmen have been outstanding as of late, cutting down on drops and seemingly becoming threats on the go. Even upperclassmen Sam Shields and Kayne Farquharson are getting in on the act again, making this unit very formidable. Virginia Tech’s passing game has not been good, and their two leading receivers, Jarret Boykin and Danny Coale, have zero touchdowns. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Both run games have been impressive, and Miami did it against UVA with a patchwork group. Virginia Tech’s passing game has been bad, while Miami’s has at least shown flashes of dominance. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s has been solid but not spectacular. Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston show signs of coming on late, but Virginia Tech always gets production from their group and will be bringing the pressure under the lights. Tech is lead by Orion Martin, who enters the game with 6.5 sacks on the year. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group has been solid all year. Romeo Davis and Sean Spence have been the standouts of late, and Glenn Cook continues his leadership role. Virginia Tech’s trio of Cody Grimm (5 sacks), Brett Warren (63 tackles) and Purnell Sturdivant (64 tackles) will be steady as always for the Hokies. EDGE: Even

Secondary: The Hokies are lead by star Victor “Macho” Harris, who already has 4 interceptions and will take away half the field. Miami’s unit continues to experience growing pains but has been untested as of late; they may face little challenge from this passing game. EDGE: Virginia Tech

Special Teams: In years past, this has summed up Tech’s Beamer Ball. However, this year they have not covered well (3 punt return touchdowns surrendered) and have not punted well (113th nationally). Miami’s Matt Bosher has been great, and the return duo of Travis Benjamin and Thearon Collier is a big play waiting to happen. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...