A note from opinion editor Joshua W. Newman

To Hilary and the rest of the offended UM community:

Although it may seem as though my aggressive column regarding the bomb threat was cold-hearted or evil, I would like to try and put your mind at ease.

Yes, my column did attack an individual, but I hoped that the overtly hyperbolic diction would serve as a red flag that it was merely in jest. My intentions were not to harm anyone’s name or make anyone think that person actually dropped acid. My words may have been aggressively sarcastic, but the point was to make you think about what really happened. The police report was so vague regarding the “controlled-detonation” and information was never released about what was actually in the box.

Obviously, if you are in a situation with a suspicious package, don’t hesitate to call the police. With all of the “heightened security” in our society, I can fully understand the shaky minds of us Americans. But honestly, the chance that the familiar-faced lady planted a bomb is extremely unlikely. And on that note, if someone did recognize her, why wasn’t she apprehended and questioned?

Once again, my intentions were simply to raise a question. I thank my readers for their honesty and compassion and hope you all have a successful conclusion to your semester.

To read Hilary’s letter, click here.

Joshua W. Newman

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...