A note from opinion editor Joshua W. Newman

To Hilary and the rest of the offended UM community:

Although it may seem as though my aggressive column regarding the bomb threat was cold-hearted or evil, I would like to try and put your mind at ease.

Yes, my column did attack an individual, but I hoped that the overtly hyperbolic diction would serve as a red flag that it was merely in jest. My intentions were not to harm anyone’s name or make anyone think that person actually dropped acid. My words may have been aggressively sarcastic, but the point was to make you think about what really happened. The police report was so vague regarding the “controlled-detonation” and information was never released about what was actually in the box.

Obviously, if you are in a situation with a suspicious package, don’t hesitate to call the police. With all of the “heightened security” in our society, I can fully understand the shaky minds of us Americans. But honestly, the chance that the familiar-faced lady planted a bomb is extremely unlikely. And on that note, if someone did recognize her, why wasn’t she apprehended and questioned?

Once again, my intentions were simply to raise a question. I thank my readers for their honesty and compassion and hope you all have a successful conclusion to your semester.

To read Hilary’s letter, click here.

Joshua W. Newman

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...