US and World News

China is attempting to boost its economy by inserting $586 billion into its economy by 2010. This money will be spent on infrastructure projects such as subways, railroads and rebuilding the villages damaged by the hurricane.

A Russian nuclear submarine fire extinguishing system malfunctioned, causing 20 deaths and injuring 21. Igor Dygalo, a navy spokesman, said the reactors were not damaged and the radiation level was normal.

One of Osama bin Laden’s sons, Omar Osama bin Laden, 27, was denied asylum in Spain after a failed appeal. He argued that his life was in danger from death threats he received because of his father. He was deported to Qatar from Cairo.

At Kajaki Dam, Afghanistan’s biggest hydroelectric project, a 200-ton hydroelectric turbine has been delivered as part of a $180 million project that will deliver electricity to 1.8 million people. This turbine is the biggest single gift to Afghanistan in the past seven years.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...