Letters to the Editor

The right to carry should be extended to UM students

The University of Miami can be seen as an oasis of greenery and security in a city known for crime and violence. Admittedly, incidents involving armed robbery and theft are not uncommon, and many students commute from areas with notoriously high levels of crime (nearby Opa-locka often shares the distinction of having the country’s highest level of crime with East Saint Louis). Perhaps the university should consider joining the debate as to whether to allow students and faculty the right to concealed carry for those who have a concealed weapon permit.

The notion may offend some liberal sensibilities, but the grim reality is that security personnel are not able to police the entire campus all hours of the day, making law-abiding students and faculty members vulnerable targets – particularly at night. I might agree that keeping guns out of the dorms is probably a good idea – the dorms are fairly secure anyway. But I see no reason why members of the community should not be allowed to secure themselves when they have proven themselves to have the competence necessary to safely handle and use a firearm and who are familiar with self-defense laws. Concealed weapon permit holders are usually not mad-eyed, on-the-lookout-for-them-terrorists psychotics, but fairly normal and peaceable people who would rather not shoot unless unavoidable in saving a life. As for liberal sensibilities, well even registered Democrats like myself should be able to see that far from turning the campus into the O.K. Corral, allowing concealed carry on campus could go a long way to prevent the next hold up or rape, or even stop a tragedy on the scale of the Virginia Tech shootings.

– Rafael Alejandro Jara

Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...