Letters to the Editor

The right to carry should be extended to UM students

The University of Miami can be seen as an oasis of greenery and security in a city known for crime and violence. Admittedly, incidents involving armed robbery and theft are not uncommon, and many students commute from areas with notoriously high levels of crime (nearby Opa-locka often shares the distinction of having the country’s highest level of crime with East Saint Louis). Perhaps the university should consider joining the debate as to whether to allow students and faculty the right to concealed carry for those who have a concealed weapon permit.

The notion may offend some liberal sensibilities, but the grim reality is that security personnel are not able to police the entire campus all hours of the day, making law-abiding students and faculty members vulnerable targets – particularly at night. I might agree that keeping guns out of the dorms is probably a good idea – the dorms are fairly secure anyway. But I see no reason why members of the community should not be allowed to secure themselves when they have proven themselves to have the competence necessary to safely handle and use a firearm and who are familiar with self-defense laws. Concealed weapon permit holders are usually not mad-eyed, on-the-lookout-for-them-terrorists psychotics, but fairly normal and peaceable people who would rather not shoot unless unavoidable in saving a life. As for liberal sensibilities, well even registered Democrats like myself should be able to see that far from turning the campus into the O.K. Corral, allowing concealed carry on campus could go a long way to prevent the next hold up or rape, or even stop a tragedy on the scale of the Virginia Tech shootings.

– Rafael Alejandro Jara

Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...