Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami wins final exhibition game

Senior guard Jack McClinton, recently named to the Wooden Preseason List which honors the nation’s top collegiate player, led the Hurricanes with a game-high 17 points in a 76-43 preseason victory against Barry University on Saturday evening at the BankUnited Center.

The 16th-ranked Canes host Florida Southern to open up the regular season at 7 p.m. Saturday.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Canes hold off Buccaneers

Freshman Shenise Johnson scored 16 points, nine of which came in the second half, as Miami won its final exhibition game 52-49 against Barry on Saturday afternoon at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes begin the regular season at noon Friday as they host Norfolk State.

Sophomore point guard Epiphany Woodson discovered shin splints caused a stress fracture in her left leg and she could miss up to a month.

On Thursday night, senior forward Lamese James and freshman guard Riquana Williams were involved in an accident when a bus hit their car near Dadeland Mall. They were released from the hospital that night and are not expected to miss significant time.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes win second straight home meet

The University of Miami swimming and diving team (5-3) got first place in each event Saturday to defeat Florida Atlantic University, 129-100, at the Norman A. Whitten Student Union Pool.

In the 50-yard freestyle, the Canes went 1-2-3 with redshirt junior Kirsten Pomerleau, senior Katie Eason and sophomore Lizzi Torres.

Junior All-American Brittany Viola took first place in both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

BASEBALL

Miami hosts two scrimmages

The University of Miami baseball team defeated Miami Dade College 7-5 after trailing 2-1 through four innings on Thursday night at Mark Light Field,

The Hurricane offense put up two runs in the fifth, two in the sixth and one in both the seventh and eighth innings for the victory.

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson and junior catcher Jason Hagerty combined to go 4-for-6 with three walks, three doubles, two runs and two RBIs.

On Friday night, Indian River State College battled Miami to a scoreless tie.

Five Hurricane pitchers combined for a one-hitter, with the lone hit coming off a bunt single with two outs in the eighth.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and miamiherald.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...