Shalala speaks on diversity panel in wake of election

Three days after the historic victory of Barack Obama, the biennial “Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference” closed with a discussion on diversity in America’s universities, emphasizing the importance of a multicultural campus to broaden understanding and prepare students to compete in a globalized world.

Starting Nov. 5, 300 experts from 120 universities and 12 countries gathered at the James L. Knight International center in downtown Miami to explore the barriers that still exist for minorities in America.

The topics of the discussions ranged from “Second Language Fluency” to “Geography and the Jewish vote,” but the election and what it could mean for race relations was on everyone’s lips.

“Barack Obama is going to take a very different approach and the fact that he is an African American will help [America’s image] in a number of ways,” said Ira Sheskin, a professor of geography at the University of Miami and a local coordinator of the conference.

Sheskin is admittedly nervous about Obama’s lack of experience but sees potential in the president-elect – the same talent the conference argues only broadening opportunities can expose.

“We want to promote ethnic understanding and combat the idea that the world is made up of Americans who have not learned to speak English yet, that people do think differently in different places and that we need to learn to get along,” Sheskin said. “The hope is that through neutral research and studies we can promote that understanding.”

President Donna E. Shalala was joined by Lois B. DeFleur, the president of Binghamton University, and Denise M. Trauth, the president of Texas State University, on the Presidents Panel at the closing dinner. The three women discussed what measures they have taken to increase diversity at their schools and why they believed these actions were important.

“People have their most intense experiences with different races and ethnicities during their college years,” DeFleur said. “Those experiences and the nature of them are critical.”

Trauth cited Richard Florida’s book The Creative Class, arguing that America relies on the ingenuity of its workers and that the creative people that drive our economy flock to more diverse environments.

“Cities that are successful will be those that can attract the creative class,” Trauth said. “Students and faculties make up this class and want to go to open and stimulating environments that are deliberately diverse.”

Companies, she noted, are participating in the equality indexes that measure diversity because it makes them more attractive to talented workers.

“Affirmative action has become economic survival,” Trauth said.

Shalala agreed with her colleagues on the importance of creating a diverse environment for students and said it was one of the reasons she chose to work in Miami, a city where over half of the residents are foreign born. One of her greatest opportunities, Shalala said, was to make sure class does not dictate educational opportunity.

“We use diversity as an advantage when we talk to potential students. We will tell them, if you want to work with kids that look like you, don’t come here,” she said.

Though we have come a long way as a country, Shalala believes the lack of flexibility in higher education and the tunnel vision of educators will deter students who want to overcome these divides.

“Teachers need to find a way to work together so students can cut across disciplines,” Shalala said. “Many will not be following us into academia and we need to prepare them to work in the real world.”

Mark Daniels

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...