Rock Band Live rocks the BUC

Fans look on at Friday's Rock Band Live concert, featuring Plain White T's, Dashboard Confessional and Panic! at the Disco. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Fans look on at Friday's Rock Band Live concert, featuring The Cab, Plain White T's, Dashboard Confessional and Panic at the Disco. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

The Rock Band Live Tour made its way to Miami Friday night, with an enjoyable night of music from The Cab, Plain White T’s, Dashboard Confessional and Panic at the Disco.

Although it only filled about half of the BankUnited Center, the concert had high energy and the bands got a good response from the crowd. Each band kept their set moving, with no long-winded speeches or ramblings from the lead singers.

Between sets was another story. Groups were invited onstage to play Rock Band as it was displayed on giant screens. What seemed like a good idea quickly lost the audience’s attention, as four people were playing while everyone else was simply watching. One redeeming moment was a group’s choice of Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer,” which had the entire arena singing along.

The Cab, first discovered by Panic at the Disco, played a nice punk set. They showed lots of energy, involved the crowd and got a fairly good response for a group the majority of people had never heard of.

Plain White T’s upped the stakes with a blend of vocal harmonies and instrumentation. The band switched between fast-paced rock numbers and slower acoustic songs. The crowd gladly followed the band’s instruction, singing along to their 2007 hit “Hey There Delilah.” Plain White T’s set was not as spur-of-the-moment or unscripted as the other bands, but rather was very theatrically staged.

Dashboard Confessional was very down-to-earth and entertaining, both in their music and in lead singer Chris Carrabba’s words in between songs. Carrabba and the other members seemed genuinely happy to be playing to a home crowd; most of the band members are from South Florida.

Carrabba joked, “I know half of the people here, and I’m related to the other half.”

Dashboard’s set was upbeat, and moved quickly from one song to the next with little downtime. For their last song they invited The Cab and Plain White T’s to join them onstage for their rendition of Pink’s “So What.”

Panic at the Disco held true to form, delivering an astounding performance. Fans rocked out to classics such as “Nine in the Afternoon” and “I Write Sins Not Tragedies.” The band ended their set with a hyped-up version of “Shout,” which had the whole crowd dancing and singing their way out the doors.

Overall the concert was a good way to spend a Friday night on campus, but it was a shame the BankUnited Center had so many empty seats. Tickets were a bit pricey for the average college student ($48 total for a lower level seat), but it was well worth it based on the talent.

Matthew Fuhrman

Contributing EDGE Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...