Movie Review: ‘Zack and Miri Make a Porno’

Director Kevin Smith has had his ups and downs in his directing career. Smith’s latest film, Zack and Miri Make a Porno, falls at about the middle of the pack, as it has some funny scenes but cannot convincingly focus on a theme.

If you can’t tell by the title, Zack and Miri is a movie about two childhood friends who decide to make a porno to get out of debt. The movie aims to be too many different genres at the same time for viewers to get a real grasp on it.

It tries to be vulgar and risqué while attempting to be a romantic comedy at the same time. The only couple that would really want to snuggle during this flick would be Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson.

Seth Rogen (Superbad) and Elizabeth Banks (W) play Zack and Miri, but they didn’t seem to really click throughout the movie. They just looked awkward at times portraying the “love interests” in the story.

Rogen and Craig Robinson (“The Office”) help the movie become viewable with their on-point comedic timing and some really funny lines. It’s just a shame that the entire movie couldn’t have been like that.

So if you’re looking for a romantic comedy that you and your significant other can both enjoy, skip Zack and Miri and rent Knocked Up or just wait for the new Bond movie to come out; girls always like those movies for some reason.

Rating: 2 out of 4 stars

Meron Berkson

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...