Volleyball

How sweep it is

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team did what every good team is supposed to do: beat teams they are supposed to beat.

The Hurricanes (22-5, 10-5) feasted on the two worst teams in the ACC this weekend, sweeping both Maryland (6-21, 2-13) and Boston College (7-20, 1-14) on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

The Hurricanes now have 13 shutouts this season, in comparison to last year’s Hurricanes, who had 14 wins the entire season.

Miami won (25-19, 25-21, 27-25) for the first time ever in College Park, as head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch defeated her alma mater. With the win, the Hurricanes swept Maryland in the season series.

Sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher led the way for the Hurricanes, tallying 37 assists and 12 digs. Junior outside-hitter Genny Mayhew had a match-high 14 kills to go along with 9 digs. Senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis also had a strong performance, posting 11 kills while only committing two errors.

The Hurricanes (25-13, 25-12, 25-20) were able to carry that momentum and sweep the last place Boston College Eagles for the second time this season.

For the ninth time this season, the Hurricanes hitting percentage as a team was over .300.

Senior outside-hitter Bridget Bomhack had an all-around great performance, as she recorded nine kills, seven digs and five blocks with four assists. Gallagher registered her seventh consecutive double-double, as she registered 35 assists and 11 digs.

Miami had 10 total team blocks compared to Boston College’s two.

With the win on Sunday, the Canes completed their first perfect road trip in ACC play this year.

Miami has five games remaining and are just one game behind Duke, Clemson and North Carolina in the ACC.

The team is looking to wrap up the season with a few more wins and secure a spot in the NCAA tournament. Miami’s strong play this year puts them in position to make a run, but they still have not gotten the respect that a team of their record normally would expect.

This has not deterred the Canes, as they have continued on their path and stayed focused to make some noise when things really begin to count.

ACC play continues this week, as the Hurricanes head home to the Knights Sports Complex for the final time this season to face Georgia Tech on Friday at 7 p.m. and battle Clemson in a Sunday matinee at 1 p.m.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...