South Miami Beats

What began as a Girl Scout Gold Award project started by two 15-year-olds has now turned into a large scale effort to collect food donations for families in need in South Miami. The original goal of the project was to collect food for underprivileged families to eat during Thanksgiving, yet with the help of the police department and South Miami City Commissioner Randy Wiscombe, the girls hope to establish a permanent food bank for South Miami. Thanksgiving donations will be collected at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at South Miami City Hall.

Commissioner Carlos A. Gimenez hosted a flu and pneumonia vaccination clinic for Miami-Dade residents last Thursday at the South Miami Community Center. Those 65 and older were able to get free vaccinations, while those younger than 65 were required to pay a fee of $30 for each flu shot and $35 for each pneumonia shot.

Splitsville, South Miami’s new luxury bowling lounge, is hosting a “Super Bowl” event benefiting the Children’s Bereavement Center, South Florida’s non-profit organization helping children and families cope with loss. The event, which will take place Nov. 6 from 7 to 11 p.m., will include door prizes and raffle prizes, along with cocktails, a dinner buffet and a live DJ.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...