Our opinion: Time to relax after grueling campaign season

So now the election is over. All the hubbub has come to an end and we are left with the first president-elect of a non-white ethnicity in the history of our nation. Many of us fought long and hard to ensure our desired candidate was the 44th president of the United States. For the supporters of Sen. John McCain, he went out strong and ended with his best speech of the election season. For those who supported Sen. Barack Obama, well, congratulations. The throngs of celebrating people in the streets Tuesday night attests to the joy shared by Obamaniacs across the country.

Whether you like him or not, he will be our president and we must hope and pray that he holds up his end of the bargain.

But where does all the vibe go now that the game is over? Is every day supposed to be the start to the new beginning? Today just feels like any other Thursday.

The fact is that the entire process took a toll on all of us. It was long and arduous and we’re all spent. A 21-month campaigning season is ridiculous. In the future, primaries could be moved later, making everyone’s life a little less stress-packed.

Enough bickering though. It is unbelievable how the youth vote turned out. Our age group propelled our president-elect to the White House and he is well aware of this. It is a serious statement of our time and our generation. We are no longer in the “olden days.” Our generation is colorblind and that fact is substantiated by the polls.

We all deserve a hefty pat on the back for (1) dealing with all of the campaign nonsense, (2) voting and (3) making history.

Congratulations America.

Editorial Board

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...