Our opinion: Time to relax after grueling campaign season

So now the election is over. All the hubbub has come to an end and we are left with the first president-elect of a non-white ethnicity in the history of our nation. Many of us fought long and hard to ensure our desired candidate was the 44th president of the United States. For the supporters of Sen. John McCain, he went out strong and ended with his best speech of the election season. For those who supported Sen. Barack Obama, well, congratulations. The throngs of celebrating people in the streets Tuesday night attests to the joy shared by Obamaniacs across the country.

Whether you like him or not, he will be our president and we must hope and pray that he holds up his end of the bargain.

But where does all the vibe go now that the game is over? Is every day supposed to be the start to the new beginning? Today just feels like any other Thursday.

The fact is that the entire process took a toll on all of us. It was long and arduous and we’re all spent. A 21-month campaigning season is ridiculous. In the future, primaries could be moved later, making everyone’s life a little less stress-packed.

Enough bickering though. It is unbelievable how the youth vote turned out. Our age group propelled our president-elect to the White House and he is well aware of this. It is a serious statement of our time and our generation. We are no longer in the “olden days.” Our generation is colorblind and that fact is substantiated by the polls.

We all deserve a hefty pat on the back for (1) dealing with all of the campaign nonsense, (2) voting and (3) making history.

Congratulations America.

Editorial Board

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...