Letters to the Editor

Look at the bright side

Obama for the most part, had good advisers. The cabinet he chooses will be the most demonstrative way he will define his office.

Either way, he has a huge challenge ahead of him, one that will require both sides of the aisle to cooperate and will have his hand held by senior advisers all along the way. He will be closely monitored. I am also of the belief that the media that elevated him to this stratospheric height will now use all of their influence to destabilize him going forward, as it will be further incentive for them to sell newspapers and gain traction. They have no morals, ethics or transient loyalties.

This morning, while waiting at the train station near East Orange, N.J., I overheard the enthusiasm and elation of the African Americans that were waiting with me on the platform. To a minority that has been marginalized and victims of prejudice for generations, I could see how important this event was for them. It is life altering. I just hope that they use this constructively and relinquish the need to cling to the anger of the radical leaders they chose to guide them and become motivated by their pride, achievement and patriotism.

The policy issues the Obama administration will promote are still controversial, and when the euphoria ends we will be left with intimidating economic, domestic and international hurdles, and even though there may be “change” in this country, we will still be reminded that we live in a very dangerous world that leaves us with very much of the same.

– Adam Jones Lamont

Class of 2001

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...