V's Take

Dear V: How to deal with partisan divide in a relationship?

I’m having a problem with my girlfriend lately because she is having a hard time accepting my political beliefs. We are great in every other way, but when it comes to being open and tolerant about the other side, she just can’t have it. She puts me down and calls me stupid for thinking differently from her and she totally buys into the smears against my choice of candidate. And now that Obama won last night, she is giving me the silent treatment and says she’s ashamed of me. Are our differences irreconcilable? Is it possible to date someone’s whose political beliefs are so different from my own?

~In the Blues

Dear In the Blues,

Relationships are about a lot of things, and respect is definitely one of them. (Remember my last column?) Without respect for each other, problems begin to arise, as you have painfully experienced. It’s a shame that your girlfriend is unwilling to acknowledge this need to respect others’ opinions and continues to act so selfishly.

Take us for example. We live in a beautiful, wonderful, honorable country where politics is divided between the blue and the red, yet, in the end, we are able to come together as one nation with one purple heart. We are the United States of America, and that’s what matters. This agree-to-disagree attitude that colors our political tradition is what has enabled us to rise to greatness and to make it through the tough times as a country united.

Much as it’s possible for over 300 million people to achieve a relationship with each other as fellow Americans despite party differences, it’s possible to do the same within a romantic relationship. And it’s not even a rare thing! Look around and you’ll notice Republican-Democrat couples are everywhere. It’s normal, it’s bound to happen, and personally, I love it.

Your girlfriend appears to be having a hard time understanding this. Help her through her intolerance by showing her that it’s okay – more than okay, it’s wonderful – and necessary to accept that there will always be diversity in thought and that that should not be attacked. Instead, take it as an opportunity to learn something new and make a connection with someone whose ideas are worthy of respect, as are yours.

Furthermore, your girlfriend has to pick her battles. Clearly, her efforts have fallen on barren ground. Her harassment has not achieved anything in your relationship, except irking you to the point that you have come to question your ability to maintain the relationship at all. Politics is a really personal thing and whether we like it or not, it’s hard to change that past a certain point in our lives. To throw it all away over such pettiness is, well, simply petty.

Advice Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...