CD Review: John Legend ‘Evolver’

After gaining international iconic success, winning countless awards for his debut album Get Lifted (2004) and touring worldwide in support of his platinum follow up, Once Again (2006), John Legend’s third R&B album release Evolver is sure to please waiting fans as well as curious newcomers who seek a satisfying taste of tender and dynamic love ballads.

If you fell in love with the creativity, sensuality and intellect on Once Again, then prepare for an alluring affair of  romance, ecstasy and fantasy with Evolver. The album is a neo-soul classic entwined with soulful tunes from stimulating instrumentation and passionate lyrics, all unified through Legend’s soothing but colorful and spirited vocals.

The soft and comforting opening ballad “Good Morning” introduces Evolver with meditative sounds of chirping birds and womanly sighs, bringing the listener immediate contentment and relaxation. Following the intro is the catchy, funky and upbeat tempos of “Green Light,” featuring the lyrical linguistics of mega-talented hip-hop veteran Andre 3000. Other prominent guest spots are presented in the guitar-stricken “I Love You, You Love,” an innovative production of  will.i.am, as well as io the piano tinkling “It’s Over Now,” an unapologetic real-talk track about ending an overdue relationship, where Legend’s iconic mentor Kanye West lays down some of his reputed stylistic rhymes.

Legend’s soulful confessions of ecstatic relationships, sensual temptations and boundless lovemaking convey an enticing utopia and create an overall sense of nirvanic pleasure.

As whole-hearted lyrics, sultry falsettos and melodic instrumentals balance throughout each track, Legend gives life to his music, inviting an array of matured emotions that evolve uniquely on each song. Legend continually quenches his audience’s thirst for sensually inspiring love-making music and, once again, leaves fans well nourished.

3 out of 4 stars

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.