CD Review: John Legend ‘Evolver’

After gaining international iconic success, winning countless awards for his debut album Get Lifted (2004) and touring worldwide in support of his platinum follow up, Once Again (2006), John Legend’s third R&B album release Evolver is sure to please waiting fans as well as curious newcomers who seek a satisfying taste of tender and dynamic love ballads.

If you fell in love with the creativity, sensuality and intellect on Once Again, then prepare for an alluring affair of  romance, ecstasy and fantasy with Evolver. The album is a neo-soul classic entwined with soulful tunes from stimulating instrumentation and passionate lyrics, all unified through Legend’s soothing but colorful and spirited vocals.

The soft and comforting opening ballad “Good Morning” introduces Evolver with meditative sounds of chirping birds and womanly sighs, bringing the listener immediate contentment and relaxation. Following the intro is the catchy, funky and upbeat tempos of “Green Light,” featuring the lyrical linguistics of mega-talented hip-hop veteran Andre 3000. Other prominent guest spots are presented in the guitar-stricken “I Love You, You Love,” an innovative production of  will.i.am, as well as io the piano tinkling “It’s Over Now,” an unapologetic real-talk track about ending an overdue relationship, where Legend’s iconic mentor Kanye West lays down some of his reputed stylistic rhymes.

Legend’s soulful confessions of ecstatic relationships, sensual temptations and boundless lovemaking convey an enticing utopia and create an overall sense of nirvanic pleasure.

As whole-hearted lyrics, sultry falsettos and melodic instrumentals balance throughout each track, Legend gives life to his music, inviting an array of matured emotions that evolve uniquely on each song. Legend continually quenches his audience’s thirst for sensually inspiring love-making music and, once again, leaves fans well nourished.

3 out of 4 stars

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...