CD Review: John Legend ‘Evolver’

After gaining international iconic success, winning countless awards for his debut album Get Lifted (2004) and touring worldwide in support of his platinum follow up, Once Again (2006), John Legend’s third R&B album release Evolver is sure to please waiting fans as well as curious newcomers who seek a satisfying taste of tender and dynamic love ballads.

If you fell in love with the creativity, sensuality and intellect on Once Again, then prepare for an alluring affair of  romance, ecstasy and fantasy with Evolver. The album is a neo-soul classic entwined with soulful tunes from stimulating instrumentation and passionate lyrics, all unified through Legend’s soothing but colorful and spirited vocals.

The soft and comforting opening ballad “Good Morning” introduces Evolver with meditative sounds of chirping birds and womanly sighs, bringing the listener immediate contentment and relaxation. Following the intro is the catchy, funky and upbeat tempos of “Green Light,” featuring the lyrical linguistics of mega-talented hip-hop veteran Andre 3000. Other prominent guest spots are presented in the guitar-stricken “I Love You, You Love,” an innovative production of  will.i.am, as well as io the piano tinkling “It’s Over Now,” an unapologetic real-talk track about ending an overdue relationship, where Legend’s iconic mentor Kanye West lays down some of his reputed stylistic rhymes.

Legend’s soulful confessions of ecstatic relationships, sensual temptations and boundless lovemaking convey an enticing utopia and create an overall sense of nirvanic pleasure.

As whole-hearted lyrics, sultry falsettos and melodic instrumentals balance throughout each track, Legend gives life to his music, inviting an array of matured emotions that evolve uniquely on each song. Legend continually quenches his audience’s thirst for sensually inspiring love-making music and, once again, leaves fans well nourished.

3 out of 4 stars

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...