A preview of the Hurricanes’ basketball season

Basketball season has arrived. The Hurricanes men’s basketball team is ranked No. 16 in the preseason USA Today/ESPN Coaches’ Poll and faces heightened expectations after last year’s unprecedented season. It is the highest preseason ranking in team history.

Even though the team is returning four starters – including preseason All-ACC Team pick Jack McClinton – from last season, some ask if this ranking is deserving or justified.

I would argue that, indeed, the ranking is a bit too high for this Hurricane team; however, how the team responds to this pressure and hype remains to be seen.

The story of this season could be the year that the Miami Hurricanes broke through the cellars of the ACC, challenging the perennial conference heavyweights. But it could also prove to be a heavy dose of reality where we see the team stumble through play in the nation’s most competitive league and miss out on the NCAA tournament.

Thus, this team is in a peculiar position. History is definitely not on our side. Yes, it’s true we are not Duke, UNC, or Indiana – all storied programs. Still, under coach Frank Haith, the team has made great strides in recent years and hasn’t since the great Rick Barry boasted such a talent as they do now in McClinton.

Any barometer of where the team stands should be obvious to most even before Christmas break with the squad taking place in many high-profile contests. Most notably, the Canes face off with Ohio State at home in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Dec. 2.

The script remains to be written on what the season may bring. Until then, tune in and watch your Miami Hurricanes.

Daniel Medina

Contributing Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...