Football

The Cardiac Canes

Well, they certainly have a flair for the dramatic.

Once again, Miami won the race after getting out of the blocks slowly (while, in the process, placing great stress on the circulatory systems of their fans).

In reality, I am not sure what to say about this team, aside from the fact that they are equally lovable and frustrating every single game.

Consider the home stretch of this latest win against Virginia. Key plays were made by Sam Shields, Bruce Johnson, Lovon Ponder and Romeo Davis.

Collectively, I think these four have caused more heartburn for more fans than any other combination of four in the history of the program.

However, on Saturday they each proved their doubters wrong (including, in a very big way, Dan Stein) and stepped up big.

Perhaps they are a microcosm of this team as a whole.

This team has not been given much of a chance all season, but they keep winning.

Sure, they lack a lot of the qualities of an elite team. But they are still 6-3. At this point, they have a very realistic shot at the ACC title game.

For a team this young, with this many unproven players, to be in this position is pretty special. It certainly is more than anyone would have predicted for them.

Maybe that is why Randy Shannon’s bunch feels special. They are quietly going about proving their doubters wrong, one win at a time, instead of accepting lesser expectations.

For most of the game on Saturday, I wanted to throw my TV out of my window. It was brutal to watch the offense constantly stall. But just as the team pressed on, so did I. Last year, this team would have gone in the can after two turnovers to start the second half; this team never did.

The coaches saw that Marve was struggling, and they adjusted again. They brought in Harris, who turned this very highly structured game into his own personal sandlot.

He ran around and bought time. He waited for his receivers to get open, absorbing big hits from the defense, as he stuck in there and delivered the ball to his playmakers.

Harris not only delivered two clutch touchdown passes but also brought the confidence that his offense needed to go out there and win the game. He overcame an offensive line that seemed intent on losing. He overcame a terrific pass rush. He overcame circumstances that would doom teams with lesser constitutions.

And one thing that can indeed be said about this team is that the Hurricanes are tough.

This team is not great. It is far from being considered elite. It will continue to make mistakes that keep games closer than they should be.

However, it will sure as hell be fun to watch along the way.

Dan Stein

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...