Soccer

Soccer loses on late goal, set for ACC tournament

Through 83 minutes in Chapel Hill on Sunday afternoon, the women’s soccer team held its own against the second-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels.

Sophomore forward Jessica McDonald, however, had other plans as she stole a goal kick and fed a pass to junior forward Casey Nogueira for the game winner with less than six minutes left. It marked the 19th goal of the season for Nogueira, who ranks as one of the nation’s top goal scorers.

Final score: 1-0, in favor of UNC (16-1-2, 9-0-1).

The Hurricanes (10-7-3, 3-5-2) were outshot 33-7 as freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo recorded 14 saves.

“Our defense was awesome like always, and our goalie,” junior midfielder Beverly Goebel said. “We were marking tight and didn’t allow them to turn as much. Although they took a lot of shots, they weren’t so much on frame.”

Offensively, though, Miami couldn’t muster much and took just two shots on goal.

“I feel like they had a bunch of different skills, but I think they’re definitely capable of being beaten,” Goebel said. “It built our confidence to be tied with six minutes left in the game and with the opportunity to play them again.”

On Thursday night, the Canes squeaked past host N.C. State, (8-12, 0-10), 1-0.

Freshman forward Julianne Rickers connected on her third goal of the season from 20 yards out in the 65th minute off a pass from junior midfielder Jessica Wyble.

Alonzo earned her 11th shutout to extend her school record. The previous high for a single season was six by Lauren McAdam in 2006.

“We had a lot of chances in the game and they only had a few, but we put our goal away,” Alonzo said. “The defenders do a very good job because the offense has to go through them before they come to me. I’m just there waiting.”

With the victory, the Hurricanes reached 10 wins for the first time under seventh-year head coach Tricia Taliaferro and will play in the first round of the ACC tournament Wednesday in Raleigh, N.C.

Their first round opponent?

The Tar Heels.

For the first time all season, Miami will play 100 percent healthy as sophomore forward Brittney Steinbruch is scheduled to play in the match.

She missed the previous nine games with a hip injury and leads the team in goals with eight after starting the season with a six-game goal streak.

“We were focused on reaching the ACC tournament and turning everything around these last four games,” Taliaferro said. “I am very proud of this team. We set a goal this season to get to the postseason and I am happy that we were able to execute and reach that goal.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...