Our opinion: National voting holiday would relieve a lot of problems, lines

What do you have going on Tuesday? Hopefully, you answered that question by mentioning something about voting. But for some in our particular age demographic, it may be impossible. Young voters have been criticized for 30 years for failing to show up. If those who offer criticism had an 18 credit load and a job at the Wellness Center, they might be more understanding.

But this begs the question: Why not just participate in early voting? If you know a student on this campus who has four hours to kill in a line at the Coral Gables Public Library, we’d like to meet them. Efforts on the part of the state to expand voting options are commendable, and efforts to transport students to these locations are appreciated, but it seems really impractical and inefficient to make the process to pick the most important office in the country closer to a challenge on “Survivor” than a true democratic process.

So how about this: Let’s make our national voting day, the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November every two years (let’s not forget about midterm elections, the Republican party surely hasn’t) a national holiday. Some may say, “Of course, let people be slackers in the name of the union.” Democracy shouldn’t be easy, of course, but it also shouldn’t be a choice between exercising a constitutional right and graduating or putting food on the table. If we have national holidays for Lincoln and Washington, celebrating their commitment to democracy, why not have a holiday once every other year to celebrate our commitment to democracy?

And what would really be lost anyway? How many hours and dollars have been lost by keeping people in lines to vote early? How much productivity is lost every two years because people duck out early to cast their ballot? Voting shouldn’t be compulsory, and neither should be closing during Election Day. But let’s provide an opportunity to finally get something right in our continuing process to perfect our voting system. Let’s not allow four-hour lines to continue any longer. Commitment and determination are required in a democracy, but that’s just excessive.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...