Movie Review: ‘High School Musical 3’

Whether you’ve accidentally channel surfed through the first two High School Musical movies or you’ve unapologetically watched the Disney premieres, you at least know of the East High Wildcats. Whether you’re a fan or not, it’s hard to complain about a pop culture phenomenon built on unabashed innocence.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year picks up during senior year at East High. Frenetic screaming comes when Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) is featured in a close-up for the first 45 seconds of the movie; this ain’t your parents’ Grease.

The seniors of East High are unknowingly cast in their school’s spring musical, Senior Year. Many of their thoughts and ideas are played out on the stage or in their minds through Broadway blowout form. It almost has the same set up as Chicago, minus the sex, murder and cursing.

Director/choreographer Kenny Ortega, who has manned the helm of this ship since its conception, knows the Broadway origins and how to make this movie truly sing.

Ashley Tisdale reprises her role as high school mean girl, Sharpay Evans, who has a hapless twin brother (Lucas Grabeel).

On the big screen in a theater hopping with fans, HSM3 is Beatlemania for a new generation. Every actor on the screen has been working on HSM movies for three and a half years. This is a true graduation for these actors, their Disney days likely over.

The slower musical numbers fall flat. And there are only so many times you can stand Efron’s angst (how difficult is it being attractive?), but HSM3 is an honest jolt of feel-good fizz. You can’t dislike a school where cliques don’t exist and skin is as smooth as the dancing. If East High had been a real school, you totally would have gone.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...