Movie Review: ‘High School Musical 3’

Whether you’ve accidentally channel surfed through the first two High School Musical movies or you’ve unapologetically watched the Disney premieres, you at least know of the East High Wildcats. Whether you’re a fan or not, it’s hard to complain about a pop culture phenomenon built on unabashed innocence.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year picks up during senior year at East High. Frenetic screaming comes when Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) is featured in a close-up for the first 45 seconds of the movie; this ain’t your parents’ Grease.

The seniors of East High are unknowingly cast in their school’s spring musical, Senior Year. Many of their thoughts and ideas are played out on the stage or in their minds through Broadway blowout form. It almost has the same set up as Chicago, minus the sex, murder and cursing.

Director/choreographer Kenny Ortega, who has manned the helm of this ship since its conception, knows the Broadway origins and how to make this movie truly sing.

Ashley Tisdale reprises her role as high school mean girl, Sharpay Evans, who has a hapless twin brother (Lucas Grabeel).

On the big screen in a theater hopping with fans, HSM3 is Beatlemania for a new generation. Every actor on the screen has been working on HSM movies for three and a half years. This is a true graduation for these actors, their Disney days likely over.

The slower musical numbers fall flat. And there are only so many times you can stand Efron’s angst (how difficult is it being attractive?), but HSM3 is an honest jolt of feel-good fizz. You can’t dislike a school where cliques don’t exist and skin is as smooth as the dancing. If East High had been a real school, you totally would have gone.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...